Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Back Roads vs. Highway:

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interstates are engineered to be safer. No oncoming traffic, few interchanges, long sight lines and gradual turns and climbs. But those things can also make them dull. And they're usually much better maintained than state or county roads. Great for getting from Point A to Point B safely and quickly, and that's about it.

If you have some nice uncrowded back roads near you, find a stretch you like and make multiple passes through it so you get to know where the good parts are, and the potential trouble spots. Once you're familiar with it, you can experiment with picking lines through the turns, where to get on and off the brakes, and all the other things that make riding fun and challenging.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hated highways when I first started riding. I see too many idiots on my way to work every morning, half of them I'm guessing are drunk since they tend to bounce between the shoulders of the entire highway at about 85 mph. I ride backroads whenever possible. Me and my riding buddy have even started riding the roads that aren't ever maintained really. Lots and lots of gravel and sand but it's more fun at lower speeds so it's still relatively safe. You'll get over the weird feeling of blind corners after you ride for a little while.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:52 PM

Back roads for me. I don't mind the hwy but the curves make for a much better ride!!

Old 06-12-2011, 03:01 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry I had to be away from computer yesterday. To answer your question, Kuro, I was on the backroads for the ride. I thought they would be more friendly to me as a newbie.

I think I felt less comfortable on the backroads because I had some people that wanted to go faster than me tailgating for a good portion. It was plenty of fun when I didn't feel rushed.

I guess what I realized a day later was that the other drivers made me more nervous, not the roads. When I wasn't feeling rushed the corners didn't feel quite as blind, if that makes any sense.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:29 PM

id rather do 65 on my knee then on the highway

Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by natakug5
Thanks for all the replies. Sorry I had to be away from computer yesterday. To answer your question, Kuro, I was on the backroads for the ride. I thought they would be more friendly to me as a newbie.

I think I felt less comfortable on the backroads because I had some people that wanted to go faster than me tailgating for a good portion. It was plenty of fun when I didn't feel rushed.

I guess what I realized a day later was that the other drivers made me more nervous, not the roads. When I wasn't feeling rushed the corners didn't feel quite as blind, if that makes any sense.
Then it's just a matter of practice and preparation. Try to go earlier in the morning when there's less / no traffic. Ride out the route and note the turns and such. Sounds like the lack of familiarity is what's making you nervous. I get extremely uncomfortable when travelling in unfamiliar areas, bike or car. It's the control freak in me.

What counters it for me is knowing as much about the route as possible. And knowing that I handle whatever is coming.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:52 PM

i like interstates and county highways.. country roads around here suck. i dont like gravel on tight corners!!!! would rather take 40mph corners at 90