Street Fighters For the unconventional CBR builder.

96 CBR 900RR getting ready for the change

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i wouldn't worry about the lower back pressure.... if the pipe is long enough, you're good. it'll have some back pressure (enough anyways), and cold air won't reach the valves easily.

i was at a car/bike show not too long ago and the boys from wyotech were running 12 in. pipes on an r6 motor stuff into a quad and a 10 in. collector pipe on a triumph rocket. they didn't seem to be too worried about it.....

as far as those fleabay china/thailand fighter lights ... stay away from them. they melt. bulbs are all but impossible to find for them and it got to the point where i was having to replace them every other day. i ride a lot at night too, i couldnt see sh*t with it.

good call with the aztec8 light

Old 03-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

update, i got the headlight pretty much mocked up, all my wiring behind triple tree, they don't all have a home yet but its getting there

i will post some pictures tomorrow, my phone's flash didn't seem to want to cooperate for a good picture.

the factory speedo is gonna stay, the sleeker replacements are a bit pricey. i rather spend it on a windscreen. also gonna wrap my headers, can pick the wrap at any auto parts store?

Old 03-24-2012, 12:43 PM

so i have my wiring out of the way, not crazy about the where i had to put my relays, they are right up at the front of the frame almost in the neck lol. once i get it all back together and run it a few times, then i will see if i have to move it.
headlight is set where i want it, gotta look up what wire is what so i can hook up the new headlight.
still have to manufacture a speed mount, mod the original belly pan, and wrap the headers.

the tail section is gonna stay the same for now. love the mini trunk, still single, and can't decide between the bobber or cafe style tail lol
i think i will repaint once i have everything the way i want it

here are a few teaser pics lol
the last is just what a mock up of what it should look like

Attached Thumbnails 96 CBR 900RR getting ready for the change-imag0318.jpg   96 CBR 900RR getting ready for the change-imag0320.jpg   96 CBR 900RR getting ready for the change-imag0323.jpg  

Last edited by trurider26; 03-24-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:21 PM

man, that really looks clean behind the light.

one thing you can do that doesn't really cost any money at all is do the rear brake reservoir delete and then use the rear reservoir as your front one - make a new bracket out of the old one up front on the master cylinder...

... you can kind of see it on my bike in this pic

Name:  IMG_6172.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  113.1 KB

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  160.7 KB

it gives it a lower profile

Old 03-25-2012, 04:26 PM

hmm, i do see what you mean, but won't you need the reservoir for the rear brakes?
also why would it matter if you switched the 2 reservoirs? I ask because i'm not totally understanding the end result yet.

side note: other than the headlight assembly and a new battery(not counting towards the build) this revamp of my 900 isn't really as expensive as i thought it was gonna be for the transition to the cafe-fighter look

also wish i had a garage and a shop to work out of lol

Old 03-25-2012, 11:15 PM

headlight looks good. i have a mess on mine cuz i haven't really rerouted any wires yet

Old 03-26-2012, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by trurider26
hmm, i do see what you mean, but won't you need the reservoir for the rear brakes?
also why would it matter if you switched the 2 reservoirs? I ask because i'm not totally understanding the end result yet.

side note: other than the headlight assembly and a new battery(not counting towards the build) this revamp of my 900 isn't really as expensive as i thought it was gonna be for the transition to the cafe-fighter look

also wish i had a garage and a shop to work out of lol
the end result is a lower profile (because of how tall the front reservoir is and how high it sits). it's another way to make your bike look different for ridiculously cheap . for the amount that you use your rear brake, just a little bit of hose is good enough (you can see that also in my pic). in fact, racers don't usually use rear brake reserviors, they just use a little bit of tubing and a bolt to cap it off. j

Old 03-27-2012, 06:03 PM

with me living in central fl, home of the not paying attention drivers, i'm gonna see if i ca just switch the reservoirs around.

i got the exhaust wrap for my headers, but i have a question. it looks to be easier to take them off then wrap them and put them back on. is there anything special to removing them? like replace a gasket or anything else? never done any work on manifolds...bike or car wise to know

Old 03-27-2012, 10:09 PM

i have taken off my headers and reinstalled them without replacing gaskets and without leaks

worst case scenario it leaks and you have to buy gaskets

go for it

Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 AM

haha i'm in SW fl, so i hear you on the drivers. it doesn't mean you can't use the rear brakes, it's just the fluid (even when stomping on the brakes repeatedly) doesn't get hot enough to warrant a reservoir. a bit of tubing is the reservoir.

i didn't want you to mis understand.

as far as the headers, you have to take them off to wrap them correctly, but there's nothing special about taking them off to wrap them. have at it.

Quick Reply: 96 CBR 900RR getting ready for the change