Street Fighters For the unconventional CBR builder.

96 CBR 900RR getting ready for the change

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've since had the giant light bulb hit me while at walmart last nite...i youtubed it lol. all looked pretty easy and straight foward. Pretty much wresting with the pipe while wrapping should be my only grief lol.

hopefully i should have some pics ups by sat, the past 2 days have been slacking off getting supplies days lol. so far still barely under $300 on budget spent so far. but thats probably gonna go up soon. i'm not looking foward to putting my enormous gauge cluster on unless i get a windscreen to clean it up. my options are to get the trail tech kit for a cleaner look so far....or i could make some sort of weather proof box for my phone w/charging port to take advantage of the speedo app i have lol. i would still need a temp gauge and i really don't ride to the point of i'm crawling all over the rev limiter lol. but just thoughts out loud for now hehe

Old 03-29-2012, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by trurider26
i've since had the giant light bulb hit me while at walmart last nite...i youtubed it lol. all looked pretty easy and straight foward. Pretty much wresting with the pipe while wrapping should be my only grief lol.

hopefully i should have some pics ups by sat, the past 2 days have been slacking off getting supplies days lol. so far still barely under $300 on budget spent so far. but thats probably gonna go up soon. i'm not looking foward to putting my enormous gauge cluster on unless i get a windscreen to clean it up. my options are to get the trail tech kit for a cleaner look so far....or i could make some sort of weather proof box for my phone w/charging port to take advantage of the speedo app i have lol. i would still need a temp gauge and i really don't ride to the point of i'm crawling all over the rev limiter lol. but just thoughts out loud for now hehe
My vote goes to the vapor. i used to use my phone for a speedo too but its nice not having to mess with it everytime you get on the bike and even nicer not having to worry about getting it wet if it starts raining mid ride. if you have any questions on how you install it just let me know.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well i have a question for you box. Do you know how to create a bracket for our make shift street fighter headlights?

Old 03-29-2012, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by JankCibberf2
well i have a question for you box. Do you know how to create a bracket for our make shift street fighter headlights?
My light came with 4 rubber straps to mount the light so i didnt have to make any but you could use 1" wide bars of aluminum and bent it around a piece of pipe the same diamater or sligthly smaller than the fork into a U shape and drill for bolts to clamp it down on the fork and attach your headlight. You will want to find some thin rubber for the inside of the clamp to keep them from scratching to forks.

Or check around the hardware store for pipe clamp/hangers and you might find something that will work like this but sized for your fork tubes
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CAD...4&ci_sku=1RVC6

Last edited by Boxdgm; 03-29-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:28 PM

update:
to try and stay within my goal of $500 for the initial transformation, I decided to go with the high temp flat black on my headers instead of the wrap . the way the pipe goes 4-2-1 was gonna result in an ugly looking towards the end at the singular pipe. plus i'm still not sure what i'm gonna do as far as my exhaust. the 2 options i'm looking at are the stubby can or doing a straight slash pipe. but i'm going do more research on it before i decide. i know with the exhaust wrap it reduced back pressure and my bike needs a certain amount of back pressure to not damage anything internal.
also gonna order up a windscreen, new levers, grips and frame sliders. even with that order i should still be under $500

i'll post some pics once i reinstall the headers

Old 04-05-2012, 02:09 PM

this is the only part of my build that i haven't liked so far....waiting on parts

i'm to the point where i need to get these last few parts on so i can see the whole picture to start tweaking the rest of the build. hopefully they will come in on sat and i can them on before monday

Old 04-12-2012, 02:07 PM

update:
so i finally got all my parts in on Tues, but haven't been able to work on anything until last nite.
got my levers and grips on, fought with the windsreen for good majority of my daylight lol. but she finally gave, just gotta tighten everything down. my frame sliders/turn signals i won't get on until today. i couldn't get a hold of my buddy who has a really uber set of allen wrenchs of all sizes last nite. luckily he's around the corner and i'll be able to use them to get 'em on in a flash

budget wise i think i'm barely over $400, but thats not too bad considering i am gonna hunt down an after market seedo. the vapor is at the top of my list so far but i've seen a few styles i like also.

i'll get some pics up tonite hopefully if i don't run out of daylight like last nite

Old 04-12-2012, 09:48 PM

Just read through all that you have done so far. Nice work man! I'm really glad you went with that headlight. I hate those cheap ugly streetfighter ones. I used these to mount my light:
Heavy Duty Headlight Mounting Brackets Fork Ears Cafe | eBay

I have some pics of my wrapped headers if you decide to do that at some point. Making your own fiberglass covers is fun and time consuming at the same time. I have on a few occasions asked myself why didn't I just buy something pre made. Browsing around eBay I came across these:

DR266 BELLYPAN BELLY PAN SUZUKI BANDIT 600 1200 NEW | eBay

DR406 BELLYPAN BELLY PAN HONDA HORNET CB900 CB 900 NEW | eBay

Old 04-13-2012, 09:01 AM

thanks for the compliments and links dave. i considered just buying a belly pan also, but was looking at the waaay too outrageous site for some lol. i plan on modifying my current belly pan that came with the bike with a lil bit of fiberglassing to get hopefully something unique. as for the headers i went with flat black high temp paint for now. i probably will revisit the header wrap once i get ready to tackle the whole exhasut system after the initial change

Old 04-25-2012, 01:57 PM

so i've been slacking off the past few weeks. part from being over worked at the 9-5 the other part out of frustration over my frame slider/turn signals mounting bolts. either way i worked out a solution and plan on having finished photos by Fri(crosses fingers)

Quick Reply: 96 CBR 900RR getting ready for the change