Street Fighters For the unconventional CBR builder.

96 CBR 900RR getting ready for the change

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 CBR 900RR getting ready for the change

So i've been away from the forums for sometime... I've been helping a buddy pump life back into his SV650 and caught the bug again. This time the really clean look of a streetfighter

so for now i have a few questions that you guys may be able to answer. AWESOME builds and info on this section of the forums btw. All the info I have absorbed over the last couple days have been invaluable.

1. will a triple tree top from a 919 bolt right on? I'm trying to hold onto my original parts for
nogstalgia reasons. this is my 1st real bike that i've owned, plus it fits me well. I'm 6'3" 295lbs-ish

2. is there another sub-frame, sleeker thinner one that will bolt right up?

3.for tucking wires under the gas tank(for the ones not rerouted to say under a seat or not eliminated) is there any issues with heat exposure to that wiring?

as far as the plan/vision of my build:
dual headlights
maybe a windscreen or something else if it looks to plain
retain my 'trunk' lol but get the lines in the back more sexy
craft or breakdown and buy a belly pan
eventually upgrade to risers instead of clip ons(this one may take some time)
exhaust upgrade(still on the fence on the look)
repaint(she started life red, I painted and repaired her(after having her for a year) metallic green
final and the big one, single sided swing arm

thanks in advance and once i start builidng i will add some progress pics

Sign in

Old 03-09-2012, 11:06 AM

save spot to upload pics

Attached Thumbnails 96 CBR 900RR getting ready for the change-mini-mes-ride.jpg   96 CBR 900RR getting ready for the change-n.jpg  

Last edited by trurider26; 03-12-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

love it, now lets see it!

as far as subframes.... i don't think anything is a direct bolt on - but it's a fairly easy on to mod and build your own. but i thought you said you wanted to retain the trunk space?

look at buel lights - they're 4 inchers i think, and they look pretty damn good - but won't break the bank.

all the wiring can be tucked away. can you solder? if you can, you can shorten and really modify the harness a lot easier to run it the way YOU want to. if you can't, learn. its relatively easy. enough duct tape around the harness will insulate it as much as it needs to be. you'll see that a lot of wires already run very close to the motor

can't wait to see where this goes

Old 03-12-2012, 11:13 AM

I'm still in a holding pattern for now, headlight hunting has proven to be a bit challenging. Hasn't helped that bike week in Daytona just started last Thursday, alot of the shops are semi closed/weird hours to attend the weeks festivities and possible extra sales opportunities.

I'm also gonna look into the Buell headlights too, I couldn't make it to the local Harley dealer on Sat. I do have a good lead on a weilder thru a buddy of mine and i have a fiber glass lady too

I do have a new question tho, whats difference between a streetfighter and a cafe racer?
I figure the streetfighter biggest difference is the shortened/bobbed sub frame and risers/dirt bars
Cafe is more linear low tuck in /keep the clip ons kind of look...
does that sound about right?

Thanks again for the input and advice. I will get my original factory pic up and my after paint from the last time i did a project with my bike. As soon as i get this headlight situation squared away I will start posting more

Old 03-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

cafe's are also usually smaller bikes... clip-ons... not edgy, not too aggressive.

streetfighters are usually bigger bikes, more radical styling, dirty bars...

but really there's really no rules when it comes to fighters.... if you're building it, then it's a fighter.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the info Conrice

Something else that I have noticed in my shopping for a headlight at my local bike shops. As soon as I say I plan on losing my fairing and going with a naked style bike. They all show me the same recycled low lighting ebay special 'streetfighter mask' I do have one that was given to me from a buddy, but he said the visibility was horrible with it. I like to make sure i'm seen when I ride, a lot of retiree's and dark roads in central florida.

Ultimately if I don't find the assembly I'm looking for I may just craft one so I can get started

Old 03-17-2012, 06:02 PM

Headlight assembly came in, I went with the 7" single headlight from aztec8.com. I love the look of the double but with the sheer size of my tank the big single and it flows together better.

Only took down the front fairing, speedo, and front lighting/turn signals. My car ate up most of my day. As you can see from the photos, this is a porch job lol..unfortunately no garage. At least with it so close by I can work on it little by little as soon as I'm freed up from the lifes regular neccesities.

My original thoughts of saving my original parts have some what gone out the window. I will be crafting a belly pan out of either the lower fairing or using it as a mold for a fiberglass one.
Wiring doesn't look entirely too bad to relocate.

Thats all for today, thanks for the support, inspiration and ideas in advance.

Attached Thumbnails 96 CBR 900RR getting ready for the change-imag0304.jpg   96 CBR 900RR getting ready for the change-imag0305.jpg  
Old 03-19-2012, 09:08 PM

that frame looks awesome! looking forward to seeing where you go with this! do work!!

aztec8 makes great stuff, i have their 7" round light
i think you'll like the big round light, kinda f*cks with the harley guys when their riding towards ya

what do you got planned for the exhaust?....... chop saw or new can?

Last edited by colorado_steve; 03-19-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by trurider26
I do have a new question tho, whats difference between a streetfighter and a cafe racer?
who cares? build something you love and call it whatever you want!!!

Old 03-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Talking

so i put in a few hours today on it, removed the fairing/speedo mount bracket, moved almost all the wiring to the right of the bike. the plan will be to mount 90-95% of it in front of the air box, there is enough room for me to pull it off and not have anything hang out anywhere.

I did burn about an hour trying to figure out where i want to put my headlight, lower or higher on the forks. I think i came up with a good medium, plus i'm trying to keep my horn....i know, i know, lol. its for those time you don't wanna set off every car alarm on the block lol

I think i'm gonna go with a vapor speedo, the original is just waay to clunky to try and remount. the can i'm gonna probably get chopped or possibly straight piped similar to what colorado steve has or conrice. still on the fence. i rode it around for about a month with the can off, super throaty but i didn't like the sound at higher speeds on the highway. plus i was told to be careful of the lack of backpressure with running it that way.

once i get my wiring stuffed and mounted i will upload some pics, either tomorrow or the day after.

on a side note, its super cool getting off work to wrench on the bike a lil bit again

Quick Reply: 96 CBR 900RR getting ready for the change