Street Fighters For the unconventional CBR builder.

1996 cbr600f3 streetfighter revamp

Old 05-22-2014, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1996 cbr600f3 streetfighter revamp

What's up fellow two wheel enthusiasts?

Just yesterday I picked up a 96 f3 for $900. I'd previously owned a streetfighter f3 and I loved it. Bought it for about the same but I'd say it was in better condition than this one!

It's mostly a frankenstein, chopped, pieced together, and all scragly. I like it though and see the potential.

Name:  LIQzaDZ.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  877.9 KB

The engine is a wreck. The battery appears to be sitting on the engine block. The fork seals need to be replaced.. Fun stuff.

So I will be spending much time and effort trying to get this one back into good shape. I wish it was as easy as throwing a slip on exhaust, some tuned and jetted carbs, and a fuel pump to get it running fast and smooth, but I highly doubt that.

I'll try and keep it updated as I go along!

Last edited by Mattson; 05-23-2014 at 02:17 AM. Reason: fixed pic link
Old 05-23-2014, 02:21 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello nick and welcome to the forum! That's an... interesting looking project you got there but I too, for reasons unknown somehow see that'll come out pretty fine with proper TLC. Deffy lift the batt from the block, surprised it hasn't cracked yet. Gonna be following this, a little while ago I didn't like streetfighters until I realised I'm building one myself

Old 05-23-2014, 06:17 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think its the tail. The tail looks right at home with the tank and then general flow with the bike!

What are your plans for the bike? Just fixing the fork seals and moving the battery?

Old 05-23-2014, 02:08 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks guys.

Yea one of the previous owners wanted to set it up with an aggressive stance. They cut and replaced the rear subframe to make it steeper, as well as dropped the triple clamps an inch or so to give it that slant stance.

I'm hoping to make it a track certified bike in the long run, so I'm going to try to squeeze out as much power as I can, within reasonable cost.

I definitely want to get that battery sorted out. Trying to figure out where to stash it so it is out of the way of the swingarm is my next little debacle. Hopefully I can get that going today if it stops raining.

Oh yea, I don't have a garage either. Should be comical to get stuff done, work outside when it's not raining in the North West I guess.

What needs to be done for SAFETY:

-Battery holder
-Fork seals (I don't like oil on my front brake and front tire, who knew!)
-Radiator fan needs rewiring or replacing , also radiator overflow
-Carburetor tuning and proper vaccum line connections (there's no vacuum lines anywhere!)
-Proper intake / air delivery systems
-Front fender!

What needs to be done for FUN:

-Yoshimura 1996 rs-3 exhaust just bought one for just over $100
-Carb jet kits / fuel management
-Possible bigger airbox? Yet to fully look under the tank.
-New rear shock. Fox shock maybe?
-And then anything else that will increase performance

I'm looking forward to it. Plenty of tiny projects along the way to take care on the bike. Like, speedo, tach, engine temp guages... But I want to make it safe and rideable, then build performance, then work on appearance and all that..

Old 05-23-2014, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by nickcp
What needs to be done for FUN:

-Carb jet kits / fuel management
-Possible bigger airbox? Yet to fully look under the tank.
-New rear shock. Fox shock maybe?
-And then anything else that will increase performance

I'm looking forward to it. Plenty of tiny projects along the way to take care on the bike. Like, speedo, tach, engine temp guages... But I want to make it safe and rideable, then build performance, then work on appearance and all that..

Just take it one step at a time. It'll come together! As far as the front end: Fix the fork seals, sell it, then put that money towards a newer front end with some USD forks. I sold my F3 front end (everything functional) for what I put towards a newer USD front end with radial brakes - so in other words - it doesn't cost anything.

^^^ just some FYI - the most modern front suzies are never a bad thing. It's not a necessity, just an idea to throw your way.

But do what you want. The sky is the limit. What you want to do - do it. The tail - that kicks ***. If you decide you don't want it - let me know what you want for it. There are some guys that have done some pretty radical things with an F3 on the forum. Look around and get some inspiration.

And to counter that "the sky is the limit bs" - having almost no money into a bike is also just as cool as over the top builds.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:28 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrice
And to counter that "the sky is the limit bs" - having almost no money into a bike is also just as cool as over the top builds.
Where is will, there is a way

-some old fart, probably Chinese...

Old 05-24-2014, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice
Just take it one step at a time. It'll come together! As far as the front end: Fix the fork seals, sell it, then put that money towards a newer front end with some USD forks. I sold my F3 front end (everything functional) for what I put towards a newer USD front end with radial brakes - so in other words - it doesn't cost anything.

^^^ just some FYI - the most modern front suzies are never a bad thing. It's not a necessity, just an idea to throw your way.

But do what you want. The sky is the limit. What you want to do - do it. The tail - that kicks ***. If you decide you don't want it - let me know what you want for it. There are some guys that have done some pretty radical things with an F3 on the forum. Look around and get some inspiration.

Ah that would be nice to swap the front end, but its my daily driver now, leaky forks and all.

I went to the hardware store and figured a cheap set up to move the battery off the block, should be set soon.

The front end actually makes for a fun time, I just don't trust the shoddy oil front tire to push it around corners.

Im curious to swap a small tooth front sprocket with a slightly bigger rear sprocket, any thoughts? Quick rev with top end? I dont know much about gearing.

Next week is looking good for this bike.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:22 AM

Hmm will.2003 suzuki gsxr 750 forks fit this frame? or will it have to be modified to fit them?

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/4514869818.html

Last edited by Conrice; 06-12-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:22 AM

Those would go on as long as you changed the steering stem bearings.

Fork conversion All ***** Racing

You'd need one of those conversion kits. They are not expensive. And you can seat the races and everything yourself without a press. You can 'youtube' videos on how to do it.

The simplest thing to do would be to find a gixxer rim, rotors, and calipers and use those too. When I parted out my F3, you can get some good money for that stuff to help with the cost of the gixxer items.

Last edited by Conrice; 06-12-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:26 PM

I have the stock gauges, I could sell those. A wiring harness, seems a little trimmed, not sure how bad. Maybe $200 total?

But the forks would be fun, rather have something a little newer to tune than replacing the springs in the stock f3 forks.

My only concern is, which is going to take longer. And would I be able to swap the forks with bare minimum tools and set up?

Anyways, I'm also having engine problems now, stemming from lean condition. The air box doesn't seal properly, so it is leaking and not creating pressure.. I also need to figure out the jet screw clip settings.. and I want to figure out the plumbing and routing for the HRC intake mod. I had a copy, but I lost it and can't find the diagrams.

Basically backfiring because I can't hook up the proper lines from the carburetors to the air box… dang.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 cbr600f3 streetfighter revamp