Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

===>What type Video Cameras?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got mine for 150 shipped it wasnt a hd model though just standard motorsports model

Old 05-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been doing some research myself and reading a lot of reviews on the cameras, specifically the gopro hd and the contour hd 1080p. From what people have said in many comparrison reviews video quality is pretty close to each other. Battery life is close as well, 2 1/2 hours for the Gopro and 3 for the contour hd 1080p. The main difference is form and function. I will kind of list the things that I though were important to each camera if others are wondering about them

Gopro hd motorsports package

pros:
-Uses SDHC card which is cheaper to buy, holds up to 32GB card
-Comes with multiple mounts and the clear protective box for the camera to make it waterproof up to 180ft.
-Lowest price I have found was for $240 although its mentioned it can be found a bit cheaper
-Charge time is about 2 hours
-Slightly larger viewing angle 127 degrees at 1080p
-Can take still pictures as well if you dont bring along a regular camera with you
-Can make all adjustments on camera ie. switching between shooting modes

cons:
-A lot of sites have reviewed the controls for the camera lacking. Cant clearly identify if the record button is pushed and the audible tone is weak indicating recording as well. It has been said bring the manual if you need or think you might need to change settings as well.
-There is no view finder or any indication of where the camera is pointed at so you have to guess.
-You are literally mounting a box where ever you put it, not very compact.
-If the camera is not straight you will record a lopsided movie.
-No SD card included to start recording with
-Seems like it is still under production, says under optional accessories there is a spare battery listed but not yet available but can pre-order...
-Sounds like Gopro is having mount issues with screws not tightening enough and the camera moving out of position and being jerky. After reading a few reviews it seemed apparent.

ContourHD 1080p

pros:
-Sleek styling and more compact
-Easy to identify recording, you move a slide switch over so no guessing if its been turned on
-Rotating lense so no matter if you mount the camera right side up or upside down your video can be level by adjusting it
-Laser to give reference for camera positioning.
-Uses RAM mounts and has many mounting options available (this can also be a con because it can get expensive buying different mounts)
-Comes with a micro SD card, but only 2GB so you will probably want to upgrade

cons:
-Uses micro SDHC which are slightly more expensive, only holds up to 16GB card
-Have to purchase waterproof case seperate, although item is water resistant without it, and case is only waterproof up to 30ft (guess that would only matter if you plan to go scubadiving)
-Charge time is about 4 hours
-Slightly lower viewing angle 110 degrees at 1080p
-Does not have an option to only take photos, strictly video (may matter to some but i know others have a still camera on them anyways)
-Can switch between 1080p and 720p on camera switch but if wanting to shoot in 960p you must hook it up to a computer and set one of the presets to it. (A nice thing with the camera though is when hooked up you can change mic gains if you are going to be riding like we do so it will reduce wind noise, also different exposure settings can be achieved while plugged into a computer so you can fine tune how you want the camera set up so there is a plus to having setting changes while hooked up to the computer)

Hopefully I have accurately depicted what you would expect between the 2 cameras and someone could use this to decide for themselves as I do not own either of them and have just been reading lots of reviews comparing the two an individual reviews on each.

Personally myself I am thinking of purchasing the ContourHD 1080p. Yes its a little bit more money but i think it will be worth the extra coin in the long run. Thinking about biting the bullet soon. Taking a trip to the Dragon on June 5th for a week so would be great to try it out. Thats my 2 cents...

Old 05-21-2010, 04:15 PM

Nice review LoneWolf04!! One thing i like to add is from my research i have found that the sound is slightly better on the GoPro motorsports. I did a lot of looking at youtube videos, which didnt really help because its all in what you use(sd card quality, video editing software, upload to youtube) that counts. All in all im happy with the GoPro HD!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:07 PM

Thats good to hear you're happy with your GoPro HD f4itypeofguy. I did see every once in awhile that people liked the audio from the GoPro better but there are a lot of things to factor in with that as far as where the camera is mounted. Also that you can change the gain on the mic when its hooked up to a computer which may or may not get you better audio on the Contour HD.

Last edited by LoneWolf04; 05-21-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:07 PM
BZL

GoPro Hero for sure.