Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

My 2004 Yamaha R6 Rebuild Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2004 Yamaha R6 Rebuild Project

Haven't been too active on the 1000RR scene lately due to my recent project to rebuild a salvaged 2004 R6 that I picked up in August.

Photo Album

There's been a lot of stuff to fix on this bike, but the motor has low miles, runs great, and the frame and swing arm are straight as an arrow. This bike was in bad shape. Here's a list of items I've found so far:

Bent forks, bent lower triple clamp (replaced)
Bent front wheel and rotors (repaired)
Bent/Broken Subframe (replaced)
Demolished Tank (replaced)
Missing front brake res assembly (replaced)
Missing Upper fairing stay (replaced)
Demolished pipe, middle pipe. (replaced)
Completely trashed bodywork. (replaced)

It's still a work in progress, but here are the upgrades that I've completed so far:

M4 full Stainless Exhaust
PCIII
Goodridge SS Brake Lines Front/Rear
Galfer Brake Pads Front
Pro-tek Clip-ons
Thermosman rebuilt forks w/Ohlins springs
Vortex 520 sprocket conversion -1/+2
RK 520 XO Chain

En route is a full set of race plastics from OPP racing w/ Dzus. I plan to paint the plastics myself, so I'm still shopping/deciding on colors. I don't plan to repaint the tank so expect to see a lot of black.

I finally got the bike rideable for the first time today, and she rides like a dream. Hope to have her on the track within the next couple of weeks.

Old 09-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Default RE: My 2004 Yamaha R6 Rebuild Project

nice dude! i did the same with my F4i but it was just cosmetic ****! mad props for re-building that! that takes alot of work and know-how! cant wait to see it when its done!

Old 09-03-2006, 08:01 PM

Thanks. Work? Definitely. Know How? Some maybe, I've learned a bunch along the way. Poking through these forums definitely helps. It's amazing how similarly the bikes from different manufacturers are put together, even down to the torque specifications for certain bolts.

Old 09-03-2006, 10:05 PM

Thats cool man. A guy I work with is doing the same thing, but with a 99 r6 with 36 miles on it. The guy he bought it from was riding home from the dealership when he looped a wheelie that he wasn't trying to do in the first place. He didn't have insurance and it scared the **** out of him, so he just parked the bike in his garage and let it sit. My buddy got it for $1000 and has replaced about the same things that you have. The perch on the frame that holds the subframe on was broken off so he had to make a new tab to mount the subframe, but hes only needs a upper bracket to finish the bike up and I think he has under $2000 into the bike including the cost to purchase it. It still has a clean title too. Your bike looks good and I would like to see it all finished up, it should be a nice track bike. I want to do the same thing, but with a quad instead of another bike.

-Jesse-

Old 09-06-2006, 03:30 AM

like rebuilding an old hotrod, good job man