Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your CBR, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Trip across the USA

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip across the USA

Hi!

I am planning an epic road trip spanning both coasts of the USA on my 98 CBR900RR (it has 60,000km but is in showroom condition). The plan is to pack up my bike and with my woman head off at the beginning of November. Starting in Montreal, heading down the east coast to Florida. (Want to get to North Carolina before the weather turns for the worst) From Florida head to Texas where we'd be staying with some family. Then on to Cali and up the west coast. Since I work seasonally, I will have until April to accomplish this journey. Our plan is to do as much camping along the way as possible, and try to do as much sight seeing too. Given the time frame I was curious to know what the biking conditions are in the southern states. Anything I should know about... places to avoid, etc? I have 8 months to plan, which gives me ample time to make sure I have everything thought of and covered before I leave. Any useful input will be appreciated.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum,

On a 900RR it WILL be an epic journey but if you pack right you should be able to get it all aboard

A few questions - and these are based on my long distance trips - including a two week, 9,000 km journey two up from Adelaide to Cairns and return.

What luggage to you intend to take?
Do you have a top box and panniers?
Will you be two-up or your Wife on a separate bike?
What sort of daily mileage are you considering?

What I'm leading towards is, plan as much as you can in advance. Think seriously about comfort on the bike, particularly if you are intending to do the trip two up. When we travel, we stay with friends or at hotels - less luggage on the bike.

This is our touring bike setup. For comfort not for speed.

The only way to see a country is from a motorcycle, so I wish you well with your planning

Happy to answer any questions you have.

Cheers, SB

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 02-18-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:13 PM

Hey SB, thanks for the quick reply.

We are going to be riding two up since my woman doesn't ride yet. (gonna give her lessons on motocross before letting her hit the streets) As far a luggage goes we're looking into a similar setup as yours. (saddlebags, tankbag, & a bag she could use as a back rest when cruzing on the highway)

We will be taking a ride from Montreal to Halifax this summer as a long distance test run. (about 1300km / 800 miles) We are both shy of 30 and in good shape so we should be able to take the strain. I was thinking 300 or 400 miles a day sounds about right. Once we get into the southern states we plan on doing a slower pace.

Since this will be a 4 or 5 month trip we will need to pack it in a bit. I was looking into trailers but I get mixed reviews, especially with a super sport like the RR. I found a company in Ontario that makes a single wheel tow behind trailer Third Wheel Trailers - When play becomes the long haul, we are right behind you. They fabricate them with Hyabusas in mind. And if you check their youtube videos they seem to track well behind the bike. Since they are not far from where I live, I plan on stopping by their factory to take a first hand look.

Planning is key, and I'm not taking anything lightly (that's why I'm starting to plan now, 8 months in advance)

Also if you know of some roads that should be ridden while passing through, let me know.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Ummm, been to the good old USA twice but never ridden a bike there - I'm from Australia, so can't really comment on good roads - sorry!

It is actually unbelievable how light you can pack for a trip. Mrs SB and I have one pannier each for clothing toiletries and shoes, share a top box with a few bike spares and tools, coolant and oil and wallets/cameras/map books/phones/torches/GPS etc in the tank bag.

We wear all the safety gear when riding.

Camping however is a different kettle of fish. If we had to pack a tent, sleeping bags, cooker and food basics we would need more room - or two bikes. Mrs SB now rides so less of a problem.

Personally I would never tow a trailer because that kind of defeats the puropse (IMHO) for me anyway. You could probably get away with a couple of biker swags and forego the tent, but keep in mind you dont want to overload your rear sub-frame too much.

Sounds like you're on the right track though. Just for kicks, have a look at how much a cabin in a caravan park would cost overnight along your route. We decided that was the best method for us.

Cheers, SB

Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

That's a long ride 2 up on a RR. I would suggest picking up a bike more suitable for the long haul with a passenger and gear.

As far as weather goes, keep an eye on the weather reports right now along the planned route. You will see a pattern in how the weather is and can decide when the best time to travel is in each region.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 PM

Ya, I've been keeping an eye on the weather throughout the winter and it seems if I get my butt down to South Carolina area by November I should find decent weather.

Btw, taking another bike is really not an option, nor would I consider it. I know it will be a test of wills to make the trip on a 900RR. But that's just part of the adventure. Nothing worth doing is done because it's easy