Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your CBR, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Cabot Trail - July 2007

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 07:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cabot Trail - July 2007

The basics:
Nearly 1100km,
Camped in the National park for the night,
We saw 2 moose, a few rabbits, a deer, a waterfall or two, a snake (which I hit by mistake as it sunned itself on Cape Smokey), and lots of water/mountains.
Peter on his 95 VFR, I was on my 2000 cbr 600 f4,

Friday morning we packed up the bikes. I just had purchased a set of Cortech sport bike side and tail bags and was marveling at the pockets. They mounted very nicely, and were far enough back that it didn't interfere with riding or staying comfortable.

We packed up sleeping bags, the tent, water, tools and a change of clothes... all fit nicely aboard. Then we headed out on the old highway 2 (not the 102 which is the big 4 lane highway). We took in some nice twisties and enjoyed a traffic free ride.

Got to the first major town (Truro) and jumped on the highway to bi-pass it. Jumped off the 104 and got onto the old highway 4. Logged another 100 or so great miles of twisty roads and no traffic.

By about 2pm we had made it to Cape Breton - the choice to be made - slab it through the middle to the trail, or take the scenic route along the shore? Tough choice - we hit the 19 all the way up to Cheticamp on the Western side of the Island. The roads were pretty good - and on route (Andrew Duthie if you're reading this ) we stopped at the Glenora Distillery. They make a fine whiskey called Glen Breton. It is made from Scottish parts, with fresh mountain spring Canadian water, aged in Scottish oak casks and sold as whiskey although it is as close to a true scotch as you can be without being Scotch.

This section of road has you passing mountains and going around them - not into them... it is very pretty and I would have loved to have had a helmet mounted camera.

At Cheticamp we fueled up - from here through the National Park is about 170km of scenic road (meaning no gas stations). It was also the last stop for alcohol so we stuffed an 8 pack into the cortech bags (they didn't seem to get full). On to the trail!

----------
On the side -

The trail itself is about 170km long - made up of 4 main mountain climbs the rest of the time is either coastal bay areas or inland following rivers between mountains. It is a National park so you have to pay a nominal fee to enter, and a nominal fee to camp. The trail goes through the western side of the park, out into a coastal community (outside of the park) where food/lodging is available, back in to the park, along the northern edge and to the eastern shore to Neil's Harbour (outside of the park) and back into the park for the final leg down the eastern shore.

Riding the trail - we did it friday (everyone else at work) and early saturday morning - not much traffic. We had the roads to ourselves BUT we did ride at a moderate to conservative pace. First, any accident up in the trails is about 80km from the nearest help and any accident on a mountain runs the risk of it being a much further fall than you had intended. Secondly, the road is not a road we've ridden 100s of times and there are some turns that are very very technical. Of which I link to a video of Cape Smokey ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cEVG...ed&search= ) - where at the bottom is a very very nasty 25km/h posted right hand near 180 degree off camber turn, where it looks like the majority of traffic can not (due to turning circle) make it within their own lane. A sane person will take this turn at 20km/h and through pride and adventure aside.

--- ------

Back to the trip

From Cheticamp we heading towards the first mountain. We checked into the park, and found the appropriate camp sites on the map with a very helpful park's person.