Road Trips Post up your road trips here!

Where the Phó are we? The 'Bear's Vietnam Redux 2013

Old 10-29-2013, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Where the Phó are we? The 'Bear's Vietnam Redux 2013

So, it's about 24 hours until we take our leave - destination Vietnam.

We haven't packed, we both still have a days work to get through and the realisation that we are off tomorrow really hasn't sunk in.

We have however, booked our bikes - the CB125E Honda Fortunes - and they will be shipped via rail from Hanoi to Saigon to be collected Sunday afternoon from the railway station. We have booked our hotel room for Saigon. And that is about it.

We'll make it up as we go along. Like last year.

Thanks to Wooferdog for the very clever play on a word that is first part of the title of this travel thread. The Phó (pronounced fur)is the national dish of Vietnam and is a soup like concoction made up of the meats and vegetables/herbs/noodles of the region that you are in. So the taste changes as you travel through the country.

A slight difference this time will be the GoPro type camera that I have that we should be able to get some good footage on. We will see.

So, for those armchair travellers who wish to follow us on the next 4 weeks, subscribe to the thread and enjoy!

Cheers, The Travelling 'Bears

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 10-29-2013 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Forgot what year it was!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bon Voyage SB.

I look forward to checking in on this thread.

out of curiosity, have you read

?

Old 10-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes all the best S B and Mrs SB too!
yes another laptop traveller looking forward to your adventure!!!

Old 10-30-2013, 03:55 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

We have however, booked our bikes - the CB125E Honda Fortunes - and they will be shipped via rail from Hanoi to Saigon to be collected Sunday afternoon from the railway station. We have booked our hotel room for Saigon. And that is about it.

What's that about Seb? In a highly populated country like that, is there no-one in the southern part that does bike rentals???

Old 10-30-2013, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kiwi TK

What's that about Seb? In a highly populated country like that, is there no-one in the southern part that does bike rentals???
Thanks for the good wishes Guys, we're about 2 hours from the first flight - to Melbourne.

And TK - because we wanted to ride the length of Vietnam, we either had to hire in Saigon then ship the bike back or hire in Hanoi, ship the bike to Saigon and ride the bike 'home' . Much less of a problem to deliver a bike back to its owner and get the remains signed off in his presence. And we were more than happy with the service we received from Danny and Thu of Rent a Bike Hanoi last trip.

Cheers, SB

Old 10-30-2013, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by splash
Bon Voyage SB.

I look forward to checking in on this thread.

out of curiosity, have you read

?
Can't say that I have.

Last year while 'in country' I read Dispatches by Michael Herr and that was brilliant.

Dispatches by Michael Herr

I'll keep a lookout for the book - thanks.

Cheers, SB

Old 10-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool trip. Sounds like fun. Have a safe ride.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:33 PM

Also remember to check with the Roadside food stalls as to whether they use "Gutter oil"
for cooking....
;-)

Old 10-31-2013, 02:27 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
And TK - because we wanted to ride the length of Vietnam, we either had to hire in Saigon then ship the bike back or hire in Hanoi, ship the bike to Saigon and ride the bike 'home' .
Cheers, SB
My apologies Seb, didn't appreciate you were doing a one way trip this time round. I guess I kind of assumed you were doing a loop trip like last year.

Hope you have way better luck than the Americans, they were there for years and still didn't make it to Hanoi.

And you expect to make it in just a few weeks? my how times change. Give a country a taste of international tourism, and suddenly nothing's a problem.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

Not a problem TK.

We're in Singapore, just done our shopping and we are staying in the Transit Hotel overnight flying to Ho Chi Minh at sparrow's tomorrow.

Off for a swim in the hotel pool and then dinner and then hopefully a little on-line tiime after that.

Cheers, The Travelling 'Bears.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where the Phó are we? The 'Bear's Vietnam Redux 2013