Road Trips Post up your road trips here!

Where the Phó are we? The 'Bear's Vietnam Redux 2013

Old 11-02-2013, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Day 2 Saigon

Up early to get organised for the day, work out where the railway station was in Saigon to collect the bikes, look for elastic straps to hold our bags on the bikes – even though we were supplied saddle bags for this trip with the bikes.

Great breakfast at the hotel and then set off on foot as the city came to life. There were – as expected scooters everywhere and surprisingly more big bikes around this year.

The Enfield Bullet – a favourite of mine having ridden them 3 times across the Himalaya.

Mrs SB checking out the Honda CB1000 and Kawasaki 1000. Nice……………

CBR600. Bikes we did not see a lot of last year.

A Flying Lambretta no less

And just layers of scooters

A shop to make Mattson weep. A window full of beer of which we noted that a heap of Saints must have just loved their ales.

Saint Sebastiaan is a relation!

We then went to a wet market to have a look at how the wildlife, livestock and sea harvest was prepared and sold.

A tray of crabs of which we watched a few unsuccessfully attempt an escape.

Bound Crabs anyone? These possibly are the more successful escape artists – then again perhaps not.

The market itself.

A catfish which also did not want to be there………………

Beautiful vegetables. The night before we had a mango that was like a taste explosion.

Nice salmon that made my mouth water

I just love the light

Where? I didn’t think you could just point to one place in this country

Mrs SB had never had a manicure – so we solved that problem. The pedicure will be tomorrow so her tootsies are comfortable in her motorcycle boots.

I went for a short walk whilst Mrs SB’s nails were attended to and found this lovely little laneway full of residences rather than shops.

There is almost nothing the motorcycle is not used for in Vietnam. Here is the steel delivery truck.

After a short coffee back in the room we were contacted by the railway station to let us know our bikes had arrived. A mild sense of excitement followed. We got dressed in our riding gear, taxied to the station and finally found our bikes.
$80 USD changed hands for shipping and we found a few litres of (bad) fuel at a local shop. Both bikes started but ran poorly and we had to find a fuel station. We warmed the bikes up, pulled our helmets on and took off slowly into the melee. The heat was intense and sweat dribbles started down my back instantly.

I pulled up at the next set of lights and Mrs SB pulls up alongside me – points to her handlebars and tells me the horn isn’t working when prodding the starter button vigorously ! ( I now officially am a dead man when she reads this) I gently pointed out the horn button on the left handle bar She hit me - no really she did!

More on the bikes shortly. We are heading out to dinner.

Cheers, The Travelling ‘Bears ( notify my next of kin if Mrs SB reads this)

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 11-02-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the only time my horn get used is WOF test time. I am however quite keen on the passing light (full beam on, get out of my feckin way, Asian todger in a rental car).

Has Mrs SB done the foot pedicure over there yet?

You know, the whole freaky goldfish nibbling at the dead skin on your toes thing?

Last edited by kiwi TK; 11-02-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
Hope you have way better luck than the Americans, they were there for years and still didn't make it to Hanoi.
Oh, they made it to Hanoi many times, they just didn't land.

Interesting thread. I like the pics that show the contrast of daily life in other parts of the world. I was astounded by the pic of the conglomeration of wires on that one pole. I guess the codes are more relaxed in Vietnam.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
I think the only time my horn get used is WOF test time. I am however quite keen on the passing light (full beam on, get out of my feckin way, Asian todger in a rental car).

Has Mrs SB done the foot pedicure over there yet?

You know, the whole freaky goldfish nibbling at the dead skin on your toes thing?

Foot pedicure is for the 'morrow TK, and no Goldfish will be involved.

Amazing place - just that from the apparent chaos, everything just happens and with surprising efficiency. Blows my mind.

Cheers, SB

Old 11-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Default Day 2 Saigon continued

So, to the bikes.

The bikes believe it or not are the exact same bikes we hired last year – just with a few more miles on them. Really a lot like Mrs SB and I. You forget just how small these bikes are.

The Red Stallion that will be transporting me and……………

Mrs SB’s previously wounded black wonder.

We hit the night market to look for competition trinkets– ummmmmm, valuables – for the trip to come.

The night market at errrr, night!

We met this young couple who were very proud of their little Honda

It was a very sweet little bike in great condition and sounded very tight. They pressed us to have a photo on it.

So we did.

Had a few Tiger beers over dinner and all is good with the world……….

Cheers, The Travelling ‘Bears

Old 11-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Here's an experiment with the new camera.

Street view below our hotel to the Ben Thanh and night markets.

Cheers, The Travelling 'Bears.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
Mattson, head on down and We'll look after you in Australia and Teeks may just show some care for you in the seventh state - New Zealand

Cheers, SB
Who knows maybe one day I just might get an opportunity to cash that promise

A shop to make Mattson weep.
To my surprise I actually recognize a little over half of the labels, and almost all of the recognized I can acquire within 100km. Guess this isn`t such a backwoods country after all

Yikes on the electric pole, wouldn`t want to be anywhere near that thing on a thunderstorm!

Old 11-03-2013, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Default Day 3 Saigon (last day)

A day with the morning spent walking around the main city centre of Saigon, the afternoon planning our road itinerary and 2 beautiful meals out.

Saigon really has some beautiful sections amid the unending chaos– the Continental Hotel, Opera House, Post Office all of a distinct late 1800’s French heritage, the waterfront area with the turbid water and plant flotsam gliding seaward. Huge trees (possibly Jacaranda) lining the wide boulevards offering dappled shelter from the sun.

The main ‘square’ looking toward the Post Office.

Uncle Ho at his stony best!

Even construction sites in Saigon offer a little humour

Mrs SB sizing up a square rigger – some of these are HUGE!

Angel Power – now we are going to need that for the short sections on Highway A1 that we do.

A giant Hawk moth that is about the size of a Humming Bird –and flies just like one too.

A lovely street full of antique stores. Old fans, tin cars, lights and all manner of furniture.

Mrs SB in one of those stores. I had the money so we were safe.

Around the corner we came across Motorcycle Repair Street. Every street at this end of town had a theme. Hardware Street, Shoe Street, Motorcycle Street and Automobile Spare Parts Street.

This was in Automobile Spare Parts Street.

Here’s a guy doing a little running repairs to the ubiquitous Honda Cub. There’s only been about 60 million of these produced.

Food in Mrs SB’s words “The food is amazing. Everywhere you go there are tiny little kitchens set up with tiny little tables and chairs. Today we had beef marinated in garlic and charcoal grilled, chicken skewers, all cut up and stirred through noodles with handfuls of ginger, lemongrass, basil and coriander and served with a pot of chilli and fish sauce mix. Just fantastic. To drink: for SB an iced coffee (forget the Farmers Union ) made with condensed milk and poured over crushed ice, for me fresh lime juice mixed with sugar over crushed ice. Simple and fantastic! “

After lunch we did all the planning for the trip, daily runs and prepared everything needed.

Including setting up the camera for the first trial run on the helmet. I am very interested to see how this turns out.

Tomorrow we head to Vung Tao, which was one of the Australian Armed Forces Bases for their time during the war.

We are both looking forward to finally getting some motorcycling miles under our belts.

Cheers, The Travelling ‘Bears.

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 11-03-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:13 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Interesting adventure so far. Any problems with language barriers?

We travel to France every 4 years. In and around Paris enough people speak English that we manage ok. Once we get out to some of the smaller communities we sometimes struggle. I've vowed to learn French but so far Rosetta Stone and I haven't made much progress.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
Interesting adventure so far. Any problems with language barriers?

We travel to France every 4 years. In and around Paris enough people speak English that we manage ok. Once we get out to some of the smaller communities we sometimes struggle. I've vowed to learn French but so far Rosetta Stone and I haven't made much progress.
Huge problems with the language barrier Jeff. We know very, very little Vietnamese and although there are many English speaking people, most work in the Hotels and not on the street.

We use an app called Translate on Mrs SB's smart phone and while we are hooked up to the internerd in the hotel think of as many phrases that we will need and store them translated. It worked well for us last year. Things like, can you point me to the toilet. Can I have my chain adjusted and oiled, can I please have a black tea and a black coffee. A favourite is Why does my dog have fleas?

That being said, there is still much gesticulating, pointing and hand waving to get some questions answered or directions.

Adds to the challenge.

Cheers, SB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where the Phó are we? The 'Bear's Vietnam Redux 2013