Road Trips Post up your road trips here!

Ride w/ Classic Bike Club

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 02:03 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ride w/ Classic Bike Club

I ride with 3 different motorcycle groups here ( or anyone else who will have me ) and today went on 250km ride with my mates from the Classic Motorcycle Club. Obviously, had to clean the bike first as did not want to let the CBR1000F side down.

Thought you might be interested in some of the other bikes.

Of special interest is the 1932 Indian - Straight in line 4 - side valves ( that are exposed and have to be primed with oil) - 1280 cc - and ingenious half elliptical spring front suspension.

In addition to the normal Nortons, BSA Gold Stars and Triumphs there is a very rare "Catalog Edition" Commando 750 ( The Yellow one - at the time this could be purchased, as shown, for road & race purposes.)

My favorite, as will no doubt any of you Classic lovers, is the Vincent HRD.

This BSA Bantam (Series 2) was just a prop in the Cafe where we had lunch.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Great photos Naga,

The yellow Norton Commando, was that a Dunstall body kit on it?

Your bike is very pretty and is so clean it looks like you showered with it!

Cheers, SB

Old 09-23-2012, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
Great photos Naga,

The yellow Norton Commando, was that a Dunstall body kit on it?

SB
SB - Not so much as an (after market ) Dunstall Body Kit. These were completely tricked up machines for purchase from Paul Dunstall's catalogue - hence the title "Catalogue Eddition".

(eg - In 1966, Paul started building complete machines. They were based on stock machines, which were stripped and rebuilt using Dunstall parts, equipment, and know how. You cannot define a Dunstall machine just like that. Given a basic engine, you can add a wide range of finished products such as seats, tanks, and fairings. You can change the gearing, or replace heavy iron or steel parts with lightweight alloy versions. The descriptions of the Dunstall machines have been gathered from magazine reviews and catalogue descriptions. The 1966 catalogue listed machines based on the Norton 88 SS, 650 SS or 750 Atlas, the Triumph 500cc and 650cc machines and the B.S.A. 500cc and 650cc twins. His 1967 catalogue listed the same three ranges of bikes. The basic Norton machines boasted new wheels, front brake, mudguards, tank, seat, handlebars, footrests, exhausts and silencers and many original parts chromed. This cost £45 above the list price. For an additional £30, you could add a tuned engine. This included the following modifications: paired large bore carburettors, enlarged and polished ports, finned alloy induction spacers, lightened and polished rockers, pressure rocker oil feed kit, lightened cam followers, special high compression pistons, bronze valve guides, double speed oil pump and larger engine sprocket. The Triumph and BSA models had external changes but no engine modifications. By 1967, Paul had produced some 300 fully customised machines.)

Old 09-23-2012, 06:40 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My favorite is the incongruous looking red and white one, that you just know will start whenever you ask it to, will whisk you up to insane speeds at the drop of a hat, and will comfortably carry you day in and day out and take you to places that thrill and surprise you.

Also, it won't need to be taken to a blacksmith to be "fettled" every 500km.

Having said that, there are some quite yummy bikes there.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice pics Naga . those classics are beautiful . pity the Vincent had a bloody chair on it I think the romance of owning any of them would be tarnished by the reality of trying tokeep them maintained .

Old 09-23-2012, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by ozzyAL
I think the romance of owning any of them would be tarnished by the reality of trying tokeep them maintained .
Like anything you love??????

Old 09-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oooooh ...... lets not go there !!!!

Old 09-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Senior Member and Montana roustabout :)

Nice photos!
Other than that "classic" red, white and blue motorcycle, I really like that Indian and yellow Norton!

Old 09-24-2012, 08:34 AM

Great pics. Really cool bikes. Like seeing old bikes like that still going.