Road Trips Post up your road trips here!

Grand Circle Tour

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grand Circle Tour

The Grand Circle Tour includes the most scenic portions of the southwestern United States. you can start anywhere along the circle, but most start in Denver, CO.

Depending on how much time you have you can visit a few or many National Parks. Colorado has the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park and Mesa Verde. New Mexico has Pecos National Historical Park and Chaco Canyon. Unbelievable Utah has Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, Capital Reef National Park, Bryce Canyon, and Zion National Parks. And the most spectacular, Grand Canyon, is in Arizona. Depending on how you do the circle, you could also include Yellowstone.

As an exploration geologist, I worked in and near almost all these areas. Bring sneakers or hiking shoes with you to really see these sites. These areas should be on everyone's bucket list.

If you can't take your own bike, I have met people from all over the world who flew into Denver and rented motorcycles.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a dream ride for sure

Old 07-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I made a similar trip by car years ago. Also hit 4-corners, Estes park, Pike's peek, the great salt lake, Bad Lands and Mt Rushmore. The painted desert was hotter than hot in July. There are many things to see as you pointed out. We put 6,200 mile on in 2 weeks by rotating 4 drivers on 8 hour shifts.

Like I said, I did it by car but just want to point out that the passes up over the Rockies can be cool while very hot down below near Mesa Verde and other point in the open. There was some snow on top of Pike's Peek the third week of July.

I wonder how these carbed bikes would do up in the elevations. I had to mash the peddle to the floor and hold it, on the '68 Plymouth in 1st gear to get all of 20 mph out of it to climb Pike's Peek and some other mountain passes.

Trip sounds like fun.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another one for the "bucket list" ,

we kinda discussed similar on our recent trip but heading north to encompass the Pacific NorthWest as well.

But I like your thinking Slowpoke

Old 07-19-2011, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I wonder how these carbed bikes would do up in the elevations." I ride the mountains a lot during the summer out of Denver "up the hill". I have ridden both Pikes peak and if you get a chance leave Estes Park and turn left to go up Trail Ridge road. I think the highest paved continuous road in North America at about 11k feet.The bike has absolutely no problems going up the hill. Of course most of it once you start climbing you'd be ill advised to do acceleration test for a couple of good reasons. The first is that it is so damn beautiful ,to see. You reach a point where you are above"tree line" oxygen too thin for trees to grow and the vistas that open up are amazing. The second is that if you miss a curve your next stop could be at least a few hundred feet down.cant imagine what it would take to get your bike back.Actually it's just too beautiful to race through. My point though is I have never had to think about the bikes performance at that height. Hell it's a Hurricane !
Anyone coming to the Denver area, do it.If you go in from Estes and keep going you'll get the most beautiful sights on the planet,come out of Winter Park and back in on interstate 70 to Denver. No performance issues at all.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay okay I give up ........... it's on the list .....seriously tho' sounds like a "must ride".

That bucket list is getting longer and longer !

Old 07-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprock
Okay okay I give up ........... it's on the list .....seriously tho' sounds like a "must ride".

That bucket list is getting longer and longer !
No doubt.
I've always wanted to do a circle like this on a bike. Zen like.
I've been around AZ, NV, SoCal in a car, but not on a bike. I'd really like to do Denver and surrounding areas as well.