Road Racing Tell your stories here.

Racing 2010

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CYCDUP
I meant next year, not sub'n for Rossi for a few weeks...
I know, I've just been crossing my fingers Ben would sub for Santa in a spectacular way this year. I can't imagine Lorenzo leaving at the end of the season ... unless that crazy rumor involving Ducati happens.

If Ben stays at Tech3 for 2011, maybe they can engineer a competitive package and challenge the top teams.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:34 AM

If Ben stays at Tech3 for 2011, maybe they can engineer a competitive package and challenge the top teams.
I'd call third a challenge already...

Spies is so damn amazing to watch ride, though I truly wish Hayden would have pulled off the 3rd place. Its awesome he is doing better this year. It would have really sucked to see him not do well this year too and get the boot. At least now, he is Ducati's strongest rider. I was excited to see the after race interviews..... and then... oh yeah, the one main aspect I like about the old version of coverage is gone. I understand the enhanced coverage, but don't take away the good stuff. Its so damn hard to find interviews as it is, its always nice to see at the least the top 3 riders.. heck, I wish they interviewed the top 10.

unless that crazy rumor involving Ducati happens.
Which rumor is that? Is Ducati after Lorenzo?

Old 06-24-2010, 07:16 AM

I don't think technically Spies can ride on the factory team as a rookie anyway. But Next year he's good to go. If you saw the interview with team management they didn't commit to Rossi. They said they will look & work to get the best riders that are available. I am not sure when who contracts end & will be on the market for a ride. Stoner's stock I think is dropping with his health last year & not doing as expected this year.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid
Which rumor is that? Is Ducati after Lorenzo?
It's probably nothing, but Stoner is rumored to be heading for Honda, followed by Lorenzo to Ducati.

I doubt such a big switch would happen, and Spies would do well to stay at Tech3 one more year before assuming the saddle at Fiat anyway.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by SpiritRR
It's probably nothing, but Stoner is rumored to be heading for Honda, followed by Lorenzo to Ducati.

I doubt such a big switch would happen, and Spies would do well to stay at Tech3 one more year before assuming the saddle at Fiat anyway.

If the rumor is correct & Lorenzo was to leave, why not Spies to team with Rossi & be groomed?

Old 06-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

why would honda want stoner?

i'd figure they'd really want to hold onto dovizioso, he's been consistent, better AND younger than pedrosa. stoner has been just about the same as pedrosa this season (even though the points say otherwise). pedrosa would want to stay at honda, too. i dont know who would really go after pedrosa if he left.

then, ducati should want to hold onto stoner (and pay big bucks to do so). he's the only winning rider they've had in a while and hayden is finally up to speed on the ducati. why would they want to start all over developing the bike to the rider again with lorenzo?

and i think that fiat would want to hold onto lorenzo and do anything that needed to be done in order to keep him there. and, i dont think ben will get there over rossi.

there's no one really new thats going to come to GP next year (i think).

i just wish bautista would get on a more competetive bike. i mean, come on, RIZLA?, really? i would have stuck it out in the lower class another season or 2 in order to get on a better team. hopefully he'll get a decent chance someday

Old 06-25-2010, 03:03 PM

If Lorenzo leaves, then Spies would be the logical choice to team up with Rossi. After all, Rossi is going to be leaving sooner or later. That kind of talent needs to be soaked up by other riders before he leaves. However, most things do not make sense to us spectators, because we don't see all of the politics behind everything. If rides were based soley on how the rider does, then we could all pick who would be where. But there is so much more that goes with it, we just don't see or hear about. The world of MotoGP has its own politics just as everything else in the world does. I think the Repsol team signifies that more than any team, but the point is there for everyone.

Any one catch that Spies qualified 4th? His best qualification yet. He is still a half second behind lorenzo, but he definately coming into his own and getting better and better on the bike. Another podium is possible for this race. Especially since Spies usually gets stronger as the race goes on, while others loose speed.

Last edited by justasquid; 06-25-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by CYCDUP
If the rumor is correct & Lorenzo was to leave, why not Spies to team with Rossi & be groomed?
Exactly. That's my fondest wish, which is why it won't happen. But Rossi could race another TWO seasons and leave Ben without a drive. If that happens, Ducati should ****** up Spies, dump Boner, and give us a Nicky/Ben dream team. Oh, and get their bikes up to competitive speed.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess there's no loyalty in this business, eh (LOL).

Just want to comment: Stoner was once on a 2nd tier Honda. I read an interview where he complained about the games that tire suppliers played (as if support teams didn't have enough to worry about). Then when he moved to Ducati, Bridgestone was a laughable tire manufacturer, but he stuck by them and Ducati. Then when Rossi wanted to "ride his jock", then Pedrosa wanted Bridgestones too, so they mandated Bridgestone as the spec tire. Then they change the Ducati chassis - so others can ride it and now the fans complain that he can't ride???? You must be kidding me. Keep in mind guys that Stoner went head-head with a healthy Rossi and GP paddock and SMOKED him, week in and week out.

Honda has lost their competitive advantage enjoyed from 500GP to 990 because of their arrogance. They have yet to learn that the MAN is 90% and the bike is 10% in this sport.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:30 PM

I agree, I think Stoner is a great rider that has fallen on some bad times. I think people forget how young he is, and how much he as accomplished in his short career so far. Even Rossi said at one time that Stoner was the only rider he ever feared at the track, as he was always blazingly fast. Of course, that was in better times, but he is slowly coming back around.

As for the team swap. The stated on MotoGP last race that Stoner was indeed signed with Honda for next year. Personally, I think Honda has the better bike out there, and if Stoner gets in rythm with the bike, I think he will be winning races again. I even think this year, he will be winning races. he looked pretty good last race.

Lorenzo on a different bike away from Rossi will interesting if it happens. I truly believe being Rossi's teammate is why is so good. When he switches and doesn't have the knowledge base on how to run, I think he will not do so well. But he could be as good as he looks, and Rossi may have nothing to do with it. It may take him being apart from Rossi to break the stigma. But there is even talk of Yamaha cutting Rossi!!!. I can't imagine any team cutting Rossi. If not for the guys incredible talent, just the name Rossi is going to get you a huge fan base. talk about revinue, Rossi brings em in like no other can.

Quick Reply: Racing 2010