Road Racing Tell your stories here.

MotoGP 2014

Old 03-25-2014, 11:27 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It's not leveling the field though. It's segregating it. If Honda wins, they win. If Ducati wins, they didn't "really" win and if they win twice - they'll be penalized. The problem in the first place was "the rules".

You had spec tire, fuel limit, engine configuration, and a development freeze ( included is the engine limit and the development freeze because they're related) that caused the costs to get out of control. Is it any wonder why Honda wanted to go to 20 liters and 5 engines? They had the electronic development to do so. Yamaha was able to hang with them longer than Ducati was (let alone the obvious casualties: Aprilia, Suzuki, and Kawasaki).

The reason these things are so hard to ride (beyond the power) is the fact that they have to manage 5.2 gal of fuel over roughly 75-80 miles while trying to produce 240hp out of a cross plane crank V4 (that's what they all run now because of the 4 cyl limit with 81mm bore rule). You have the teams flash freezing fuel to get in as much as they possibly can for Christ's sake!

As the saying goes "Electronic development is the new horsepower". The reason why is how it smooths out the throttle for the riders to be able to control these insanely twitchy motors (once again, due to fuel limit, engine limit, and engine configuration) - anyone remember what happened when Pedrosa's sensor was knocked loose last year?

You can see where the Magnetti Marelli ECU is and how good it is. While it's contradictory to say Spec tire is killing the sport and Spec ECU isn't, the point is where the development with the electronics led with those specific rules. The Spec ECU could in no way do what Honda's ECU does mano-a-mano - but with 24 liters available to both teams, it could probably come close in the same way that the M1 with extra fuel and Spec ECU has close with Aleix Esparagaro. Even if Yamaha had 21 liters of fuel (or more), I bet Aleix would still be close to the front.

The combination of rules I said above are of course were going to squeeze on manufacturers. Add in an economic downturn a few years ago and it's no wonder why there are only 2 factories left. Get rid of those rules and it becomes more obtainable for a more reasonable price.

The laws of diminishing returns really start to close in once you're dealing with only one variable - to go faster (instead of faster plus fuel economy and making a MotoGP engine survive almost 1500 miles). Getting more tire manufacturers helps with different frame designs as well as different engines (screamers vs big-bangs, V4's vs I4's vs V5's vs I3's).

It's not like I've really given it a thought though.... It's just hard to look at the 990cc era and not see how those rules kept everyone in "the hunt". While the electronics aren't what they are today, it's not as if the debate back then was CV vs flat slide...

Simply put, the route Dorna is going with MotoGP is the same way the rules went with F1. I swear, in a few years, we'll have passing zones...

Last edited by Conrice; 03-25-2014 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, Honda & Yamaha have big budgets & will use that to maintain an advantage over the smaller companies.

I am a Honda fan thru & thru, but would like to give everyone an equal opportunity to win.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by CYCDUP
Unfortunately, Honda & Yamaha have big budgets & will use that to maintain an advantage over the smaller companies.

I am a Honda fan thru & thru, but would like to give everyone an equal opportunity to win.
Exactly. Why do you think Honda wanted to make it harder for themselves and have less fuel and motors? Why would any race team want less fuel to work with and fewer motors?

It's to strangle the competition.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:29 PM

If Dorna doesn't do this there won't be any MotoGp because the smaller teams can't afford it. Another is Honda won't give factory bikes on lease. The bikes of Bautista and Bradyl aren't quite a factory bike. Honda likes to play but as long as they like the rules. If not they pick up there marbles and go home.... as they threaten to do. This year is a mess and I agree with many on it. But Dorna is going to level the field and do what they can to make everyone happy. Not an easy task but it needs to happen to make the sport survive.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-31-2014, 11:03 PM

Splash, did you make that page or did someone send you a link? People do the strangest things.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by splash
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime
Splash, did you make that page or did someone send you a link? People do the strangest things.
Happy April Fool's Day!

(and what is motegp.com?)

Last edited by Conrice; 04-01-2014 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:43 PM

Rossi's front tire from CoTA

Hmm... well, I definitely wouldn't say that its the old "my tires went off" excuse...

Old 04-27-2014, 07:54 PM

anyone know where i can DL todays race? or was it just another blowout by marquez and not worth watching?

Old 04-28-2014, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by sjona2011
anyone know where i can DL todays race? or was it just another blowout by marquez and not worth watching?
No it was one of the more entertaining races that I can remember - especially the first 7-8 laps. It was almost like a moto3 race.

Don't know where you can DL it.

Search this Thread