Road Racing Tell your stories here.

MotoGP 2014

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 02:45 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the Mark Marquez show continues.

Haven't watched the Jerez race yet, but I see no reason why the parade shouldn't continue.

Looks like Lorenzo threw his championship chances away in the first two races and even if Honda were to lend him a factory bike, he'd be hard pressed to catch up now (though I would love to see both riders on equal machinery).

He (Marquez), may even win every single race this season! He is unquestionably an incredibly talented rider and deserves the best machinery, but there is a danger here of there being no competition for him to beat. Where will be the challenge for him and will it make the inevitable victory slightly hollow?

I'll continue to watch, but I'll have to get my entertainment from WSBK and BSBK this season.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Nice to see Rossi win for a change. Let's face it, to be the best of everyone else is what they are racing for these days. Second to Marc, with the chance of first if he crashes, is a win.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkwind
So the Mark Marquez show continues.

Haven't watched the Jerez race yet, but I see no reason why the parade shouldn't continue.

Looks like Lorenzo threw his championship chances away in the first two races and even if Honda were to lend him a factory bike, he'd be hard pressed to catch up now (though I would love to see both riders on equal machinery).

He (Marquez), may even win every single race this season! He is unquestionably an incredibly talented rider and deserves the best machinery, but there is a danger here of there being no competition for him to beat. Where will be the challenge for him and will it make the inevitable victory slightly hollow?

I'll continue to watch, but I'll have to get my entertainment from WSBK and BSBK this season.

Actually he didn't throw it away. Last year he was out a full race with a broken collar bone and crashed another. Problem is...... is tires. The Yamaha factory bikes just aren't meshing with the 2014 Bridgestones supplied. And on another note I would bet Bridgestones departure after this year has something to do with it.

As far as Rossi winning. He can and he should. Same thing though hes having to manage tires that are not as good as last year. Seems the Honda gets along with them a bit better. Someone needs to get in Marquez head. Bang him up a bit in practice. Nobody has bothered him yet or tried and im surprised

Old 05-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Does/Will Marquez make a mistake if that happens, though? They got into his head last year. And all he said pretty much was "Bring it on." I'm talking about the Malaysia race. JLo talked him up in the press, and then bashed the fairings a bit in the race. Marquez thrived on it.

I also think that the fuel is an issue as well. That 20L put a squeeze on Yamaha. I guess we'll see if the 5 engine limit becomes an issue later in the season.

I'm amazed at what Marquez is doing. Do the circumstances help - absolutely. But that doesn't take anything away from him. Marquez has that ability to be nuts and seemingly over the edge, but a lot of the time he can also be the smoothest rider on the course too.

Other riders prescribe to one or the other. JLo/Pedrosa - super smooth. Bautista/Crutchlow - on the ragged edge. Marquez can do both, whichever suits the track he's at. Hell, for that matter, whichever corner he's at.

Last edited by Conrice; 05-07-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice
I'm amazed at what Marquez is doing. Do the circumstances help - absolutely. But that doesn't take anything away from him. Marquez has that ability to be the nuts and seemingly over the edge, but a lot of the time he can also be the smoothest rider on the course too.
100% agree, he deserves to be where he is, but it would be so much more entertaining if he had some competition.

The fact that Pedrosa can't catch him testifies to his ability, but it's a shame that the rest of the field is hoping for him to fall off, so someone else might have a chance to win a race.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:58 AM

100% agree, he deserves to be where he is, but it would be so much more entertaining if he had some competition.

The fact that Pedrosa can't catch him testifies to his ability, but it's a shame that the rest of the field is hoping for him to fall off, so someone else might have a chance to win a race.
For sure, it would be much more entertaining. I think it's important to note how Pol Espargaro is doing along with Scott.

Marc came in, finished 4th at Qatar, and then started winning in Austin and took control of the season shortly after that.

Let's look at how Pol competes with Bradley Smith... it's not too impressive thus far.

Look at how Scott is getting on with the other RCV's. Baring Qatar - it too has not been that impressive.

There's just something different about Marc. I don't know who's going to come up from other classes and start to compete. I think we can safely say that no one from the current crop of GP riders will ever be able to compete with him.

Plain and simple, Marc can exploit these tires unlike anyone else can. I can't find that picture, but one of the pictures at Jerez was taken where Marquez arrived at the APEX of a corner still on the front wheel under braking.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:37 AM

this one?

Old 05-08-2014, 09:46 AM

It is amazing the way he tips that bike into the corner on one wheel! He seems to be re-writing the book on 'how to ride a GP bike

Watched Jerez last night, even the commentators are now talking about the possibility of him winning every race this season. Apparently the odds were at 250-1 but after the win in Argentina it went down to 25-1, I wish I'd known and put a bet on at 250-1!!

Rossi seems to have found some of his old form and managed to fend off the attentions of Pedrosa, which Lorenzo didn't manage in Argentina. Makes you wonder what is going on in their heads though, Lorenzo not even on the podium and the only realistic battle seems to be for who will get 2nd place!! Can Danni Pedrosa now ever realistically hope to win a championship?

Old 05-08-2014, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dani just had arm pump surgery so I doubt. Rossi and Lorenzo have held Marquez lap times during a race but cant sustain them. The Yamaha has to choose different tire combinations and its not lasting the entire race. What needs to happen is Marquez needs to be put into a mental mind game that will make him fail...... it hasn't happened yet but nobody has done it. And no nobody has,notice everyone is getting along??? But the equipment also needs to be on a more equal platforms and they are not at this time. Next year will be interesting as all factory riders contracts are up and Bridgstone is leaving the game. Tires will be interesting next year as it will be a learning curve for who ever takes the role.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:19 PM

Can Danni Pedrosa now ever realistically hope to win a championship?
No. He certainly won't win this season (unless something major happened to Marquez) and I don't think he'll even be a Repsol rider next year. I don't know where he'll end up - but I don't think he'll ever win a WC. He's the definition of a bridesmaid.