Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

What's your biggest fear?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 10:08 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Other than a front tire giving out or being at a stop light with no escape route it would have to be fall frost on the road. You can't see it and so easy to forget about those greasy corners when riding to work on a crisp fall morning.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:34 AM

I’ve a few “moments” on greasy, icy roads but generally they are at slow speeds, and although they shake you up they don’t really frighten you to death.

My biggest fear is someone pulling out out on me, at 60 mph you have no chance and it’s does seem to happen, car drivers are so distracted with their phones, Bluetooth music and satnav these days they don’t take enough notice of what’s going on around them.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:40 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunk
My biggest fear is someone pulling out out on me, at 60 mph you have no chance and it’s does seem to happen, car drivers are so distracted with their phones, Bluetooth music and satnav these days they don’t take enough notice of what’s going on around them.
+1

Other people/riders scare me the most I think, during general riding.

Everything else is in my control, so if I'm not 'feeling it', I'll just back off.

In the summer I ride at first light, to have the roads to myself for a couple of hours.

Occasionally, I'll come across a deer and they scare the hell out of me! They're big enough to ruin your day if you hit one at speed and even when I slow right down, they're so fast and skittish, you just don't know which way they'll bolt.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkwind2016
In the summer I ride at first light, to have the roads to myself for a couple of hours.
This is one of life’s greatest pleasures, up and out at 7.00 am on a Sunday morning, lovely dry warm morning, nothing on the roads and an hours ride through the Cotswolds to meet friends for breakfast, you can’t beat it!

Old 12-20-2017, 07:39 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunk
This is one of life’s greatest pleasures, up and out at 7.00 am on a Sunday morning, lovely dry warm morning, nothing on the roads and an hours ride through the Cotswolds to meet friends for breakfast, you can’t beat it!
Try up at 04:30 out by 05:00

The first half hour or so, I have to be careful of the odd person returning from a night out.

By 07:00 I'm on my way home and I see the some of the 'early bird' riders heading out, but by that time, I've thrashed the hell out of myself and the bike

Old 12-20-2017, 08:42 AM

About 7 of us regularly meet in the summer at Stratford upon Avon for a ‘spoons breakfast, usually home around 10.00am to resume family duties. I miss it in the winter, we’ll do an odd one if the weather is mild.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GronkFries
Other than a front tire giving out or being at a stop light with no escape route it would have to be fall frost on the road. You can't see it and so easy to forget about those greasy corners when riding to work on a crisp fall morning.
So what are some reasons why the front tire might "give out?" sometimes just knowing the WHY and HOW of something can reduce the fear.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:57 AM

My biggest fear is hurting my pillion, in most cases it's my daughter. I understand most of the issues mentioned prior but we love riding together and have for a number of years, If either of us got hurt it would probably end my riding, If she got hurt it would be devastating.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rob2m
My biggest fear is hurting my pillion, in most cases it's my daughter. I understand most of the issues mentioned prior but we love riding together and have for a number of years, If either of us got hurt it would probably end my riding, If she got hurt it would be devastating.
I can relate. My young kids ride and my son races. It provides so much joy to watch him and see him enjoying the sport that I love so much but it's also so terrifying! All we can do is take one day at a time and appreciate and enjoy it

Old 09-23-2023, 08:54 AM
Default Not having fear is a very bad thing!

To me riding over 50 years. With having the subtle unluckiness of hitting a dog, skunk and finally a deer around 80mph. Not being relaxed and having respect.
I mean, the day I don’t have a little fear of riding the machine between my legs or my ability to ride in general is the day we won’t be talking. I have learned this the hard way for sure! I never had fear especially riding motocross.
If you ride motocross they say, you will eventually get hurt! Can I get a Amen!! 4 broken ribs, both shoulders reconstructed, Left fibula, right ankle, right wrist. lol! Those days are behind me and would have changed a thing. Don’t ever think you have enough confidence or ability to miss or walk away. Every incident is different. Hard to say until you live and walk away! It happens so fast like hitting a deer at 5am, light fog or morning dew. Just past a car on a straight away. A road I’ve driven on for over 20 years. Didn’t even see it. Hit me broad side, pushing me in to the other lane. I ended up with a broken right foot and over $3,000 in damage.The deer was killed. It weight around 110lbs so I felt very lucky. Most people don’t walk away after hitting a deer.
So the incident happened on Yamaha Raider 1900! If I were on a smaller bike I wouldn’t be typing.
Having a little fear is a good thing, it should keep you alive.

Quick Reply: What's your biggest fear?