Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

What's your biggest fear?

Old 07-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by zaqwert6
Tough one to answer.

I have no real fears in regards to bike handling although I'm aware that $hit happens so don't be shocked when it does.

The only true 'fear' I have sometimes is of catastrophic failure. Doesn't help when you know you've personally had every single part of your bike in your hands at one time. I've blown a chain on a drag bike and I've had a rear brake caliper brake lose on a race bike and lock up the rear wheel with a BANG like I got hit from behind with a cinder block.

Both situations were like a hand grenades going off and blinding your senses for a few seconds which is like a few light years under those circumstances. Your just helpless and hoping the gods are looking out for you.

I guess that sums up my fear, having no control with no warning. I feel like as long as I have control , I can get myself out of it. Thinking back on it now, same thing happend once was I was younger. Broke a front axle on a dirtbike and lost all control of the front end. That one I wasn't so lucky. So yea..... that. :0
big ol' +1

i couldn't agree more. somehow my brake caliper mount on my f3 snapped along with a pad pin while i was coming up on traffic - .... that was before i worked on brakes myself - but i always kept them up on service. no warning - no anything

it's pretty bad when your brake lever comes back against the rest of your knuckles and you're not slowing down as the brake lights in front of you get closer and closer

catastrophic mechanical failure. definitely.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, mine is pulling into parking lots. For some reason there is this thought in my mind that there is sand there, or oil, or pebbles, anything to cause me to slip out. I slow way down, and if there is a curb too, then its even worse haha. Cornering doesnt bother me to much, for some reason I feel at home on em, I dont over do it, and I dont go in hot on corners I dont know and/or cant see through. Second fear.... some silly *** m'fer rear ending me at a light/stop sign cause they are texting. Happened to a buddy on base, freaking commanders wife nearly killed him cause she was on the phone.... for damn shame

Old 07-11-2012, 04:15 AM

Animals, especially cattle.

One day I was hitting a sweeper at about 100kph+ and half way through I see a heard of bulls coming at me , I don't know who **** them self more me or the bulls but when I came to a stop I was about 6ft from the leader and stuck in a standoff with 3000lbs of beef, luckily for me he was quite timid and moved out the way after a quick rev but still had me worried lol.
I then see a farmer at the next house running around like a mad man and then jump in his Ute, so I just pointed him in the right direction and he went after them.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:58 PM

well at this point my biggest fear is this... And when I get into bigger traffic towns then I can feel my heart beat like parumparumpapum..

Old 07-13-2012, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Missynet
well at this point my biggest fear is this... And when I get into bigger traffic towns then I can feel my heart beat like parumparumpapum...
+1 Hell yea.. it can happen that quick....

Last edited by gotcbr; 07-14-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: remove repost of vid
Old 07-13-2012, 05:09 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

man....that is scary...there nothing you can really do... it one of those crazy things. Looks like a Toyota SCION....imagine if it's a SEMI or a Hemi truck

Old 07-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

animals in the highway with high speed

Last edited by raiden; 07-13-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by raiden
animals in the highway with high speed
+1 on that!! Specially on corners! Just when you are in your happy place and comfortable one crazy nut on the road and you could be out for few seasons..

Last edited by gotcbr; 07-14-2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: remove repost of vid
Old 07-14-2012, 01:51 PM

look at the right mirror at :07

Originally Posted by Missynet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csPdrjzjquk

Last edited by MaikuMizu; 07-14-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by MaikuMizu
look at the right mirror at :07
Saw that.. That might be the reason he managed to jump off? Last seconds...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's your biggest fear?