Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

What do I do if...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

back brakes, front brake, who the heck needs any of them anyway? thats what ditches, trees, and cars are there for! J/K!!! I tend to use my rear at stops especially when there sand water or gravel. after about 30 MPH i dont touch it unless emergency stopping. as far as riding it out Ive seen alot of guys down in Myrtle Beach (home for me) that start a slide in a turn and as soon as they let the rear brake go the tire catches and highsided the heck out of them.

Last edited by james_hale2; 04-01-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:10 PM

If your rear wheel locks up, keep it locked until you straighten out or come to a complete stop.

I use both brakes.. I guess I'm light enough on the rear brake to avoid locking up the wheel, The argument presented (if locked keep it locked otherwise you may highside) makes sense to me, Physics is not a mysterious woman of intrigue to me, its something I had to study to get my engineering degree, so I have a pretty decent grasp on it.

Furthermore, during a panic stop, you are supposed to use both brakes, and shift down to slow down. I guess since they covered that in the MSF course when I took it, and we practiced it several times, and the fact that Ive ridden dirt, and driven cars with manual transmissions my entire life, I'm just used to using both the engine and all brakes to slow down whatever it is im driving (try driving a 1966 mustang in the winter in new england, you will learn how to transmission brake)

Part of the appeal for me with motorcycles is having to do many things simultaneously, and having each of my limbs work independantly, it requires a certain level of motor skills, you need to be able to work the clutch, front brake, rear brake, and shifter indpendantly all at the same time-frame, some people cant handle it and I don't think they should be on a bike for example:
1. the lady who managed to accidentally pull a wheelie on a 125 rebel during the MSF course because she dumped the clutch with the motor wound up, I dont know many people who can/would do that intentionally
2. the guy who couldnt remember to pull the clutch lever in while coming to a stop, who would consquently stall out or lunge every time he tried to stop

Old 04-26-2010, 12:34 AM

I made the mistake of following a car too close and when it suddenly braked, I locked my rear.

Nothing I could do but skid and pray I wouldn't hit the car in front of me.

When I first got the bike, I did a few practice emergency braking exercises in a wide open/empty parking lot.

In order to find out at what point my rear would lock up, I would ride forward at about 20 mph and then purposefully lock the rear.

I did it enough that I knew when the rear would lock while braking, and could avoid it.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by MT Wallet
I made the mistake of following a car too close and when it suddenly braked, I locked my rear.

I did that and locked my front:

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/endod-faceplanted-my-new-rr-109073/

Old 05-14-2010, 12:29 PM

I got in the habit of using the rear brake to gently slow like at an intersection or approaching a turn, but one time someone decided to quickly change lanes in front of me without looking my natural reation was to lay on the rear brake and I almost lost control because of it, the rear started sliding sideways, I did regain control by easing up on the rear and using the front so after that I try to use the front more so in a panic situation the natural reaction wont be the same

Old 05-14-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
This is something that's been bugging me for a long time. What do you do if you lock the rear tire? The MSF says to leave it locked. Ask most riders and the answer is "simple: don't use the rear brake".

So what's the answer?
lock my rear too much. They tell you to keep it locked just in case it grabs traction and lurches you forward or sideways.

always use both brakes imo (not in a turn though).

Old 05-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well been adding the rear into my daily riding. Couple areas where I get hard on both brakes to check my stopping distance. Now I need to get used to the new stopping distance and stopping power.

Been seeing a lot of people reporting problems of sliding and fishtailing. I've yet to experience that. Biggest issue I've had is multiple stall outs at lights

Old 05-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Smile Loving the rear brake!

Personally I love the rear brake. I read an article once saying the rear brake is usefull while turning with just the correct amount of pressure, and since then I have been using it. As long as you are using it in moderation and at the correct times it can save you.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Luck Runs Out...
I'm actually surprised to see people suggest not using it because of the fear of a locked tire. Just keep it locked 'till you're almost at a stop. Benefits of using the back brake: Reduced stopping distance... AND... reduced brake dive. And in low speed parking lot situations when the bars are turned a bit? Grab a handful of brake and a footful of brake and tell me which one makes both your feet come off the pegs...
As mentioned there are many opinions on this but mine is that if you have to use the rear brake you aren't using the front brake enough. Where do I get this opinion you say? Just watch Moto GP. They are the top dogs of top dogs and I just watched the latest race over the weekend and most of the front runners take their right foot off the the bike when they are braking. If they're doing that they aren't using the rear brake at all. Plus, if you're braking hard enough the rear wheel is bouncing up/down off the ground anyway so what good is the rear brake if the tire is off the ground? If the pros aren't using it much then why am I? Now there are times to use it to powerslide into a corner but I very much doubt anyone on this forum is doing that.

I also read Keith Code's "A Twise of the Wrist" and it doesn't speak too highly of the rear brake either. He states most racers have given up using the rear brake due to it's complication of use. Now, on the street under leisurely riding then I think using it is fine but for racing or panic situations I would avoid it.

Last edited by JeremyGSU; 05-24-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by bambam
yer askin for problems if you use your back brake so hard as to lock it up...that 75-25 is what ive been told aswell. I do use the rear brake to scrub off allittle speed goin into a corner , it seems to have manners during corners were the front can produce a little dive and throw me off of my line a little.....
75-25 applies more to street riding and regular braking. At the track or on the street at threshold braking it's more like 90/10.