Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

What do I do if...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear brake is one of the most useful controls on the bike. As people have noted, it keeps you more level in hard braking and reduces stopping distance. It also helps you scrub speed without upsetting the bike as much. In traffic, I use the rear to adjust my speed. I also find that using the rear and front when coming to a stop keeps me more stable and lets me pull to an easier stop. There are also hills where the rear is invaluable.

I dunno, not using the rear brake for fear of high-siding is like not using all of the throttle for the same reason. Just be judicious and use it gently and it will treat you well. True, it takes a while to get used to braking properly. Hell, I'm still learning. But it helps you ride faster and makes your rides more pleasant.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:29 PM

IMO, this is going to be a subject with a lot of opinions. BAsed on my experience, I am surprised the MSF suggests that if you lock the rear stay on it !!?? I have done this a few times and maybe it was luck, but when I realised it was locked I got off it, it did , as mentioned earlier "snap " back,but that was what I wanted to happen. The bike will swing too far but if your'e ready , compensate that and it lines up pretty nice.
In a serious turn, I can see how that presents problems ,but there I suggest ,watch what your'e doing and dont go in so hot that you lock it. Immediate decisions have to made if you do, and in the few occasions I have done it,off the brake, a little on the throttle to get the tire traction again and pay attention to (and correct)your line on the curve. I ride a 93 Hurricane now and a Kaw Concours. The Hurricane I am still working out as it has the linked brakes.I keep wondering if I'm smart enough to mechanically separate them,prolly the only thing I'm wary of on the bike. I ride it almost exclusively and keep testing that part of the bike's handling.It works well enough,but I'm still getting used to hitting the rear brake to trail it ,etc...

Old 02-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Default ridered1

Almost never use the rear brake, cut of the pedal and put a little bolt that I can just catch my boot on when I want to settle the bike as the rear wheel re-weights going into a corner or when traction might be iffy.
I think it was Kevin Schwantz that said "rear for go, front for slow'. If you find that using the rear makes you comfy, by all means use it but I find it just gets me in trouble..

Old 02-16-2010, 05:19 PM

In the end, I suppose it all comes down to habit. Just like driving a car, early on you develop your habits and you continue to drive with those as they are. If you "taught or learned" to not use the rear brake then you will continue to follow that as it will take a complete change in habit to accommodate using it and vice versa.

It seems to me that choosing to hold or let go of the brake depends on your reflexes and of course the speed you are going. If you have the reflexes of a cat, you may be able to straighten up quickly. However, if you are already going into the slide before you realize then not so much.

I don't see why a rear brake would be designed for these bikes, if they weren't useful. To each his or her own when it comes to how you handle your machine.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:04 PM

I must say that I have had a high speed lockup and it was instinct to stay on it until I was going slower even then I waited until the "wiggle" was in the middle before letting go of the brake. Now granted I was in the middle of the intersection, but that's my fault. Well all of it was my fault, I was speeding, trying to make a yellow light thinking the guy I was following was going to go through it. Then I shouldn't have tried to stop. I'm very lucky. I still use my back brake though well I will when I fix the rear rotor on my new bike and it gets warmer. Now that I've been working on this post casually for the past 3 hours I will conclude with this... USE BOTH BRAKES IF YOU ARE UP IN THE AIR!

Old 02-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting discussion here. Honestly, I've only used and locked the rear brake during the MSF. And damn near highsided at about 15 mph. During the MSF they demanded we use the rear brake during the emergency stop. If they didn't see both controls used during the braking, you got another chance to do it. 2nd time, you were supposed to fail. Tho so long as you stopped in the distance required and didn't drop the bike, they let you go.

I don't like the rear brake myself. I didn't like nearly getting tossed from a 250 at 15 mph. What I've been doing for quick stops is front brake + engine braking.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Interesting discussion here. Honestly, I've only used and locked the rear brake during the MSF. And damn near highsided at about 15 mph. During the MSF they demanded we use the rear brake during the emergency stop. If they didn't see both controls used during the braking, you got another chance to do it. 2nd time, you were supposed to fail. Tho so long as you stopped in the distance required and didn't drop the bike, they let you go.

I don't like the rear brake myself. I didn't like nearly getting tossed from a 250 at 15 mph. What I've been doing for quick stops is front brake + engine braking.
Lol, when I took the class I locked up my rear brake too. However, instead of holding it I instinctively let go quickly and allowed it to straighten back up. It reminded me of when I was younger and would lock up the rear wheel on my bicycle...surprisingly similar. However, its not something I'd want to duplicate or test if I could handle again.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:37 AM

if i feel like im gonna go a little wide on a first, second gear corner a little back bracking can help pull you in, having used the front brake in panic on a road i didnt know, it stood me up a bit more and made the situation worse, its allways good to pratice on a road you know to find what kind of limits youre tyres can handle cold aswell a warm incase of a unexpected situation, eg tractor, cow****, or some dope in a jeep

Old 04-01-2010, 06:25 PM

I've only locked my rear wheel a couple of times, and those were panic stops. Steering into the skid and easing off on the brake straightened it up with no jerking or tendency to high side. Of course, that's at low speed.

I read somewhere that if you're cornering and the rear starts to slide, you should unweight the inside peg until the rear starts to hook up again. That advice came from one of the AMA pros, and he might have been assuming more skill than most of us have. My goal, though, is never ever to start the rear wheel sliding on pavement. Too much crap to slide into on the road.

Craig