Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Tank Handle

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank Handle

so the wife and i both have bikes, but every now and then i like to take her behind for a spin, and she almost always complains that i accelerate too fast or take corners a bit too tight, or more then she does anyway. (she has a ninja 250 with square tires) so i was thinking of getting one of them tank handles
something like this

http://www.motorcycle-grips.com/imag...uit/handle.gif

i know she would like to have something to hang on to, rather then just putting her hands on the tank and/or hanging on to me (which sounds good) but wont let me steer with my body

the down side to this, i think, would be when i ride solo which is almost 90% of the time, it would get in the way.

so what do you guys and girls think?
would be good to hear from both sides...

Old 04-13-2013, 10:59 PM

I could see that thing smashing right into my chest bone while in full tuck....ouch!

Old 04-13-2013, 11:07 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have thought about something similar. You can probably just get a strap that goes over the tank to hold on to. Maybe just having a small 'sissy bar' or something on the back might give her a little more piece of mind.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:32 AM

lol a sissy bar on a cbr, ya that would be something. but good point.
the strap idea is good but its not solid, i have a tank bag that is held by magnets and a strap that goes over the middle part of the steering column, its good but not solid enough.
i was also thinking of getting one and putting it on as needed since its only a few screws that hold it in place.
so no one has used these before? they sell them all over the place. some people even use them for stunt riding and what not.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:31 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a user on here who just put a small pad on the back of the pillion. Just enough to feel it and feel like you want slip backwards. Can't remember who/where but it was nice and subtle.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

I had a sissy bar on mine until I bought a Corbin rear with a back rest. My daughter loves it and I feel way safer with it behind her.

I like the strap idea too, the handle is going to hurt when you forget about it.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wont your helmets be banging into each other if the passenger leans so much forward? Why not make or buy a handle that goes to the back of the seat. Or learn to accelerate smoother while 2up...

Old 04-15-2013, 10:19 AM

Wont your helmets be banging into each other if the passenger leans so much forward? Why not make or buy a handle that goes to the back of the seat. Or learn to accelerate smoother while 2up...
you almost sound like you havent had anyone behind you before.
no the helmets wont bang into each other.

and the back handel idea is good but that would mean the person is sitting right up to gran on to it, i would much rather have them behind me, almost leaning on me, so when i lean (as the bike leans) they wont fight it and have the 'i'm about to fall off' feeling.

so i guess the bar idea isnt good. or no one has has it installed before.

they also make other styles.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, indeed I have not been riding WITH a passenger pretty much at all, but I have been the passenger myself for many, many timesin the past. It does take some practice from the passenger too to lean into the curves instead of fighting it, and I've banged my helmet to my friend's for quite some times when I tried to hang onto him instead of the rear grab bar. I guess it's not all bad if they sell them everywhere, although I've never seen one for sale here. Just a thought that came to my mind from my own experience...

Old 04-16-2013, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mattson
Well, indeed I have not been riding WITH a passenger pretty much at all, but I have been the passenger myself for many, many timesin the past. It does take some practice from the passenger too to lean into the curves instead of fighting it, and I've banged my helmet to my friend's for quite some times when I tried to hang onto him instead of the rear grab bar. I guess it's not all bad if they sell them everywhere, although I've never seen one for sale here. Just a thought that came to my mind from my own experience...
i shall try and hold my comments back.
there are a few stores that sell them. but you also have to think there are diffrent bolt patterns for all sorts of bikes. so the store would have to carry a huge amount of stock for the odd guy like my self that wants to buy one. they can sell smaller stuff like tank pads much faster.
hence why its almost easier to buy it online, or make your own i guess.