Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Catching/correcting a highside

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catching/correcting a highside

Couple weeks ago going around a neighborhood I lost my rear end on some sand into a turn. As the rear drifting out right I felt the bike try to stand up as I steered it forward. Because I was going so slow I put my right foot down on the outside to catch the bike when it tried to highside me. Needless to say it hurt like hell haha. It kept me up and the bike from going over but is there any better way to correct a low speed highside? I know you can counter-steer the bike up but with such a low speed its not enough.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:49 AM

Surprised nobody has answered this yet... I wish I had an answer for you, but I am interested to see what people say....

Old 10-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

Yeah....I got nothing. Usually once it flips over the vertical it is all over but the pain.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

only thing i know of is to catch it early enough so it doesn't catapult you out of the seat.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

mmmm.....a low speed high side. From your description Im guessing it would of been a low side had there been a larger area of sand. You were lucky and I`m guessing there was a huge sigh of relief to go with the pain. Sometimes you can save them...sometimes you cant. But seeing as you obviously had a good feel of what the bike was doing and was about to do, you acted quick and that saved the day as far as I`m concerned. Another day the preload ping would send you flying....well done for saving mate !!

Old 10-03-2012, 07:04 PM

some will give ya a hard time, its not my point. me, i have learned my lesson with speed and street riding, ive slowed down a bit for the most part.

we all know zipping around on two wheels is most fun. i must pay attention to detail at all times. my life and others depend on it. to me its just part of the thrill of everyday street riding...ya never know whats around the next turn for sure!

have fun dude, live and learn!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think you are going to "save it" when it comes to highsides. I use to race CCS in the 90's and been doing track days for 2 years, its kind of nature to let off the throttle when the rear lets loose, it just kind of happens. You just got lucky it didnt spit all the way off the bike, thats what I think anyway. Now Valentino, Jorge, or Max might tell you different. lol.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:48 PM
MZ5

Only way I know of to 'save' a high-side is with massive amounts of power, thus assuring it remains a low-side. Realistically, DON'T DO THIS; it won't work most of the time, or it'll make things MUCH worse.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:29 PM

Wouldn't a lot of rear brake keep it a lowside though?

Old 10-07-2012, 11:32 AM

Thanks guys so much for the help!!!! It sure did hurt, the bruises on my left leg are just starting to heal but at least I didn't go off.
Live to ride another day

Quick Reply: Catching/correcting a highside