Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Catching/correcting a highside

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dyracuse
Wouldn't a lot of rear brake keep it a lowside though?
To force a lowside, you'd have to force the front to lose traction. Ie: grab a fistfull of front brake. Once a highside is in progress, i think it's prolly to late to do much except NOT brace for impact.

Everything I've seen concerning high / low sides is how to avoid causing them in the first place. If that fails, then the advice has been to not tense up when you hit the ground

Old 10-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

Slow speed turn like that hitting sand :

you'd need to continue the drift to a get straighter line via shifting and or rear brake
transitioning to full power to push out of it...... basically speedway style

That's the way I go about it anyhow.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:28 PM
ROTM Oct 2012 & #1 Hurricane Streetfighter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me personally when this happens I give the rear brake a quick tap then hammer on the throttle to catch traction. While doing this i counter steer encase i go in to a full on drift this way if that does happen I can power through the drift until i am out of the corner and can bring the bike up unto a straighter line. Kinda hard to explain it to be honest my body does it all naturally and i have had my rear slide out more times than i care to count. I hope this makes sense or helps you out.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:30 PM
ROTM Oct 2012 & #1 Hurricane Streetfighter

Oh also depends on what slow speed is? For me thats around 40-50mph or so anything below that and you can easily put down your foot to catch your self and just give her some throttle.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:41 PM

I wrote an article on "highsides" for Motorcycle Mojo Magazine that was also published in Roadracing World. It can be found here:

http://www.mistihurst.com/files/J_F_07.pdf

I hope it gives you some good info on highsides and how to prevent or correct one.

Cheers

Misti

Old 11-23-2012, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Misti
I wrote an article on "highsides" for Motorcycle Mojo Magazine that was also published in Roadracing World. It can be found here:

http://www.mistihurst.com/files/J_F_07.pdf

I hope it gives you some good info on highsides and how to prevent or correct one.

Cheers

Misti
With a little help from a fellow mod a while back, we made them into jpegs to save you on bandwidth

Attached Thumbnails Catching/correcting a highside-misti001.jpg   Catching/correcting a highside-misti002.jpg   Catching/correcting a highside-misti003.jpg   Catching/correcting a highside-misti004.jpg   Catching/correcting a highside-misti005.jpg  

Old 11-23-2012, 07:06 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
I dont think you are going to "save it" when it comes to highsides. I use to race CCS in the 90's and been doing track days for 2 years, its kind of nature to let off the throttle when the rear lets loose, it just kind of happens. You just got lucky it didnt spit all the way off the bike, thats what I think anyway. Now Valentino, Jorge, or Max might tell you different. lol.
+1

You were lucky/unlucky.

Slow speed = lucky

Sand on a corner = unlucky.

On the track Valentino, Jorge, or Max might save it, but in our/the real world it's not going to happen. Too many variables.

The only real way to 'save' a high-side is to avoid it in the first place.

In other words, if your on the road, you don't ride to the limit, save that for the track.

Of course we all have huge ***** and have super-human abilities and we can see what's around the next corner, but we all saw that coming too, yeah?

I guess what I'm saying is, ride within your limits and the limits of the road conditions.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
With a little help from a fellow mod a while back, we made them into jpegs to save you on bandwidth
Hehehehe cool thanks!

Misti

Old 11-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

misti, just loved your article..
even funnier keith code.. jezz.. i remember him from back in the day..
either way i wish you wrote this 25 years ago, before my two crazy high sides i experienced.. but i have to say: young or old , will tottally understand and enjoy the story behind it.. i know i enjoyed it immensely.. and has caused me to put some thought into it.. not that im hitting rotarys @ 90 anymore.. but knowing and remebering is half the battle..
kuro: thanks for making it so easy to read!! i liked it so much i reread today.. more imporant i really believe the article should be a sticky.. without question!!
jay

Old 04-29-2013, 03:21 PM

This happened to me the other week, I just kept on the throttle and leaned towards the direction my tire was sliding out. Luckily I saved it.

Quick Reply: Catching/correcting a highside