Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

sitting back from the tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 01:22 PM
MZ5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When stopping really, really hard, I find it basically impossible to prevent myself from contacting the tank. No amount of squeezing the tank will prevent me sliding forward. Maybe I need some sandpaper stuck to the side of the tank?

However, I actually think that's alright (the contact w/the tank) so long as I can avoid pushing on the bars, too. Pushing on the bars transfers a ton more weight forward (and high) vs. being in contact w/the back of the tank. So, I feel like I'm doing pretty well if I can just keep my arms loose even in a maximum-effort stop.

The most recent example of how this ends up working for me was during the drive home on the freeway yesterday. As is more common than I could wish, panic braking directly in front of me came out of nowhere, and for no reason I could see. I was in the HOV lane, and two cars ahead of me, a Lexus IS bailed out left (only reason he didn't hit the car in front of him, from my perspective), and I was braking very hard to keep my distance and get stopped before contacting the guy in front. I went left, too, because I suddenly realized I was unaware of what was behind me, or how far away 'it' might have been. I stopped short of the car in front of me, though, so the left move was purely preemptive to keep me from being hit from behind. In any event, I was in contact w/the back of the tank, but I was able to keep my arms loose and keep both wheels on the ground.

Maybe you guys don't see it this way? I'm not claiming yesterday was an example of wonderfulness by any stretch; merely an observation of how things appear to work for me on my bike.

Last edited by MZ5; 06-03-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been experimenting with this ALOT on my new 2011 CBR 600RR. Before this bike i rode a 2003 Buell Firebolt and I was always in one comfortable but very controlling position because the motorcycle just fit me perfect for riding and control.

But, now with the CBR i have had to try and experiment with what is the best riding position since the seat seams gigantic to me. I have tried riding close to the tank and it works well for me during normal riding. When I am trying to get alot of speed quickly tho I slide my butt further back so I can go farther into a tuck and have less wind resistance. If i am actually trying to act serious and go around some twists and corner properly though I find myself maybe half an inch away from my tank to be the perfect spot.

I really think it is time to invest in a Traction pad for my tank to make it easier to squeeze my knees/thighs against the tank so i stay in this position.

I am 6'1" and 160lbs athletic/swimmers build