Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Riding when its windy 2up

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding when its windy 2up

Do you guys avoid it? i tell my GF we cant ride when its above 20mph. I can usualy deal with it, bike being kinda thrown around, but little concerned about 2 up. feel like it be a sialboat on wheels.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ern's rule of thumb...
If you don't feel comfortable it probably ain't safe. Your attention is distracted, and yeah, it can be a bit of bother. So don't feel as if you are a weenie, better safe than sorry.
Ern

Old 04-29-2011, 05:13 PM

definitely better to be safe than sorry, the person on the back is always the safety priority for me when im riding 2 up. Its their life in my hands, any risk and i call it off

Old 05-02-2011, 10:43 AM

OK, thats what i thought. Better to be safe then sorry

Old 05-02-2011, 01:41 PM

i dont blame you. I live in odessa texas and two nights ago it was rough. it was fine when i jumped on the bike and about 20 miles from my house the wind picked up. it was getting kinda scary. on a two lane express way, i was in the right lane and the wind was so bad it was pushing me all the way in the left lane. from solid white line to solid white line. people think you are drunk riding down the road leaning sideways.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:45 PM

West Texas, where you can drag a knee in a straight line. As to the question, go for short rides at low speeds and see how both of you feel. If good try for longer rides in the wind. Only you will know what is best but you have to try to find out.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:13 PM

I have not rode 2up in the wind yet, dont think i would. I really H8te the wind when I'm on the rr by myself. Worst is when you stop and only putting left leg down and leaving right leg on Brake and a nice wind from the left comes and give you a nice notice that its there. Scares me...

Old 05-06-2011, 12:32 AM
July 2008 ROTM

It's manageable, you just have to prepare yourself as best as possible. If you notice wind gusts coming from your left, put your bike in the left hand on the lane in case it blows you out of line a little bit. Have your passenger stay closer to you, not sitting up as much as to catch the wind. Keep your arms loose and ready to counteract any wind-caused movement. Make sure your passenger doesn't make any sudden moves at low speeds when your bike is most subject to being moved around easily.

Try it once and see how you and your passenger feel.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:49 AM

I dont avoid it, I take it as a challenge.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was riding 2 up when really windy last weekend. From the side it wasn't that much different than when alone but from the front the blasts were really hard (this was on the freeway). I asked my pillion about it and she said she didn't really notice it that much because I was blocking most of it. I'm quite comfortable in strong winds because I had quite a few storms in the winter. It's not fun but the bike will lean over to compensate anyway. The scary part when you get pushed off to a side like the Steve K said.

It's already been said though; if you don't feel confident don't do it. The only problem is that you might never get confident when it's windy. I say to do short rides just to get the hang of it. This way, when you do get caught in stronger winds, you have the experience.

You wouldn't want to be a complete riding in the rain noob and get caught in a torrential rainstorm huh?

Quick Reply: Riding when its windy 2up