Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

How to avoid the crash?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where I ride mostly is for pleasure up in the Colorado mountains. Beautiful scenery and twisties forever. All types -decreasing radius downhill right handers( my nemesis so I do that route often to practice) blind corners where the is a rock face to prevent you from seeing the whole curve,etc. One of the things to be watchful of this time of year is sand used to help drivers in the snow. That and young deer.
On the sand thing, the only thing to do is either do a straight line through it or stay alert to the possibility. If in your area sand is used for snow, it is not all pushed away by cars or rained off yet.The cars will push it to the edges and also leave the center of the road with sand on it. In those areas, it is not possible to avoid it by taking the typical line through a turn. when I moved out here I almost learned that the hard way,but got lucky,I saw it as I was coming to a sharp right handed switchback was able to slow down enough to re-do my line in the car tracks and (nothing but luck) was able to cross the apex as the sand ran out. Up there, you dont have the luxury of off roading it- you will be in the air then tumbling down a rocky drop off. As advised look for the difference in road texture and color, slow down - especially at night. I have buddies that run hard in the hills and brag about their near misses like it is a badge of courage. I don't share that opinion. And when I notice new plastics from a fall, I am NOT impressed. This time of year between the deer jumping out and the sand, I enjoy the scenery and the ride and take pride in the fact that both my bike and I arrive at my garage grinning .

Old 09-11-2012, 03:38 PM

Keep as much tire contact patch on the ground when you hit gravel aka: reduce lean as much as possible. You're best friend is preparation, know the turn and road conditions beforehand.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:43 PM

it has happened to me several times in my riding career but, i kept it on the road every time. instantly for a split second i was able to straightened the bike up while going over the gravel or dirt. i also adjusted my rear brake out to where it is not so sensative, so its not so easy to lock up for quik stops. also, i dont ever ride with worn tires or brakes. ever. i always keep an eye on tire pressure and brake fluid.

i will add, during these times i was going too fast for conditions and almost didnt have enough time to react. we live, we learn. i have learned to slow down in those conditions. its not worth it

Old 09-17-2012, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by sifiwiz
Keep as much tire contact patch on the ground when you hit gravel aka: reduce lean as much as possible. You're best friend is preparation, know the turn and road conditions beforehand.
x2 on reducing lean angle. another key point is to maintain steady throttle. being on the brakes while in gravel will only increase the possibility for a slide, same with accelerating on gravel

Old 10-20-2012, 07:36 PM
ROTM Oct 2012 & #1 Hurricane Streetfighter

When in doubt throttle out!!