Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Crash stories / how to avoid them

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crash stories / how to avoid them

So after crashing my f4i last night, and thinking about how it could have been avoided, I figured I would start a thread where we can tell our stories of how we went down, what went wrong, and how to avoid this from happening.

I'll start it off. I was riding with a group of riders over the altamont pass in Livermore, ca. This is a long, windey, non-lit road. I was going about 80-90mph the whole way. I came into a turn that was tighter then I though too hot. I stood up the bike and tried to brake a little to lower my speed before turn and my back wheel started skidding. There wasn't enough road to make a full stop, so I had to bail. Fortunately, I was not badly injured, but my bike is totaled.
Looking back to it, I realize that I got scared of the turn and tried to slow down. Had I just leaned harder into it and let off the throttle, I probably could have taken it. So to anyone who ends up in my spot, don't be scared to lean harder and stay away from the brakes. I'm looking forward to hearing your stories so I don't fall again.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This type of topic applies to all riders and bikes, not just F4is. Moved to Street Skills.

Glad you're ok!

Old 03-02-2011, 09:27 PM

Ok so last wed. on my commute home from base i was in rush hour traffic in hineville,ga at about 515pm. traffic started tomove a bit and i managed to get up to speed. 4 lane road...I was in the right westbound lane...signaled my lane change into a clear left lane..looked over my shoulder then in my mirror...went to make my change and a pick up truck slammed on his brakes in front of me as i was trying to leave the right lane...i swerved to miss his tailgate and ended up having a high side wreck all by myself...so i slid twenty feet and i am unscratched my gear and my Army uniform took the damage....My bike however is totalled....6800 worth of damage.

AMEN I'm alive

Old 03-02-2011, 10:14 PM

@jayred3002: any suggestions as to how to avoid this?

Old 03-02-2011, 10:19 PM

theres nothing you can do about what other people do. the biggest thing is to asses every situation when any car around you makes a move. ALWAYS leave yourself an out, a way to get out of a situation should a driver make a stupid move.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:27 PM

Glad you guys are ok. I've been riding street and track for 9 years now and haven't wrecked yet, though I'm sure the harder I push on the track, it will happen sooner or later.

Only advice I can give to cobretticuz is to not use your rear brake unless you are very skilled with it. On the track, I don't even touch it. Grip the bike hard with your legs and put your weight back on the seat or on your feet and give the front brake hell. You will be surprised at how hard you can use the front brakes if you keep your weight off the hand grips. While braking find a safe turn in spot. At that point you figured out the rest, lean hard. Leaning your body into the turn also helps give you more tire to turn on.

@jayred3002:

I've had this almost happen many times. I hate riding in traffic. What I do now is check mirrors, move over and ride the dotted line (in case the guy in front brakes), then look over my shoulder before I fully switch lanes.

Hope my advice helps, stay safe.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dissevered
@jayred3002:

I've had this almost happen many times. I hate riding in traffic. What I do now is check mirrors, move over and ride the dotted line (in case the guy in front brakes), then look over my shoulder before I fully switch lanes.

Hope my advice helps, stay safe.
Have had it almost happen to me as well. Went back and dissected it here. The general conclusion was I was riding too close to the people in front of me. Analysis of a near hit

The other thing is what you said:
Originally Posted by Dissevered
You will be surprised at how hard you can use the front brakes if you keep your weight off the hand grips. While braking find a safe turn in spot.
If the bike is upright and the rear is still on the ground, there's more brake left in her.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:02 AM
August 2011 ROTM

I don't trust my skill level yet and I don't trust other people, so I keep close to 2 car length in front of me. ( I know I am a boring rider)

My first crash was someone started to turn left behind the cars in front of me. I panic and grabbed my both lever as I turn the front wheel away from the car.

I need to stop panic and if I do, I need to stop gripping my hands

Old 03-03-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Have had it almost happen to me as well. Went back and dissected it here. The general conclusion was I was riding too close to the people in front of me. Analysis of a near hit

The other thing is what you said:

If the bike is upright and the rear is still on the ground, there's more brake left in her.
yeah, it never helps to tail gate, but in heavy traffic, if you leave 2 cars in front of you, some jerk is always going to change lanes to take the spot. Not that I care about that, its just that if you were to check your blind spot while someone switched lanes in front of you only to slam on his brakes, you will be caught by surprise when you look forward again.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:22 AM

I'll say this much, if any of you have a road track within 2-4 hours drive of you, do at LEAST 1 track day. My comfort level and skill level multiplied big time after just one track day. You really get to know your bike and when back on the street, when you know the limits better, you know how hard you can brake and turn safely.

Quick Reply: Crash stories / how to avoid them