Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Crash stories / how to avoid them

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thankfully haven't crashed yet...several close calls though.

Here is my suggestion, sign up for a MSF course...even the basic one, while will make you do things rather boring to the experienced rider, will help you learn techniques for surviving the streets! www.msf-usa.org

Old 03-03-2011, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Xander F4i
Here is my suggestion, sign up for a MSF course...even the basic one, while will make you do things rather boring to the experienced rider, will help you learn techniques for surviving the streets! www.msf-usa.org

Not saying the msf course is bad in any way but the basic course is to teach you basics of riding a bike and isn't close to real life application since you're not using the bike as though you were on the streets (speed, brakes, other people, etc.)

i'd rather recommend as others have, a track day. there your confidence grows much better since you're going at speeds and braking more than what you normally would even do on the streets so you know the limits better

Old 03-04-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cobretticuz
@jayred3002: any suggestions as to how to avoid this?

All i can say is watch the person in front of you and what they do. I had an out took it but lost the bike in a swerving maneuver. thankfully the MSF course taught me alot and i was able to avoid hitting other parties

Old 03-04-2011, 07:10 PM
August 2011 ROTM

I don't mind someone cut in front of me when I have 2 cars space in front. People in Hawaii drive like ****. I had someone put a dead brake on in the middle of the street for no reason while I was driving my car. I had to do emergency brake. I rather have enough space in front of me so that I will not rear end someone if sometimes like that happens again. I did take MSF. What they teach is good, but all their situation is controlled. In real street situation, things happen without my expectation. So what I learned in MSF helps but my panik response still kicks in.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:12 PM

@Cobretticuz

My 2 cents is that you out-rode your headlights. If you hadn't been going 80-90 on a poorly lit winding road, your chances of having to dump your bike would have been significantly less.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Default first bike second day first crash

Hey whats up new here. Just giving my first crash experience. As the title says it was my second day on the bike and I bit off more than I could chew. I tried to do an uphill take-off and my first corner...at the same time. I guess I should also mention the only two wheel practice I've had was a dirt bike one time. Moral of the story is learn at your own pace, not by leaps and bounds. Luckily I had on my gear because I have done my safety research. I do plan to take the abate class but the first class of the year isnt for a couple weeks.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 PM
August 2011 ROTM

cbr_us: This is my first bike and I had to learn how to ride on my own. At first, I could not squeeze the break too good and I was grabbing it while my handle is bit turn. End result.. on the ground. My then bf didn't have patient, and I was getting very stressed out too. I decided to be with my bike at night after I came home everyday. I walked on my bike in my parking lot, then I got off and push it back to where I started. That really helped me get used to with the weight itself and how it is distributed on my bike, and front breaking itself. I was still thinking that bike moves and stop same as car back then. So I was scared to gas up if I knew I had to stop soon. So I was going slow. That actually helped me to be more balanced in low speed. Once I figured out how motorcycle slows down very quick without gas, I was able to ride much better. My first cornering practice on empty Sunday morning intersection, I took four lanes to make the turn. I was not looking at where I wanted to go. I was looking at where I didn't want to go. Another lesson.. Then I stalled when I was going out of the driveway turning right, then I had to put my bike down very slowly. Because by the time my feet touch the ground, it was leaned too much that I could not save it. That made me more aware of throttle/crutch balance when I take off. So hill stopping and going is ok now. I try to stop with one feet and go on purpose on flat street too.

Sounds dumb right? But all these mistakes I made on my own with my own term, I learned what I know so far. I am still learning. I have long way to go still. But now when I am on my bike, I feel I am extension of my bike more than when I first started. I am able to trust what my bike can do much better now.

I have to be able to ride much better than normal people because I am short and I cannot rely on my feet to assist me making slow turn etc. My journey continues..

Old 03-31-2011, 12:10 PM

yumoncbr i really do not mean to be patronizing or offensive to you in anyway at all,but i must ask you if riding an RR as a first bike is a wise idea,for your own safety.maybe you could put her away for a few months and by a cheap 500cc naked bike to build up your confidence
by the way,im in my 30's so no boy racer,i learnt to ride 3 years ago on a 500 and bought gs500 to carry on my learning curve for 2 years.Now i have a 600f3 and that even wakes me up a few times!!
just my 2 cents,and like i said before im not meaning to hurt your feelings in anyway,just be safe

Old 03-31-2011, 01:40 PM
August 2011 ROTM

I've been riding since May 2009. almost 2 years. Don't worry. I've heard this many times when I first got the bike, so I am used to hearing it. Everybody that knows me personally always laugh about how I was when I first started riding. Maybe I make myself sounds more terrible than I actually am. But I know what I can do and what I cannot do. And I am always try to improve myself. Maybe I shouldn't concentrate on my undeveloped skills so much

Last edited by yumoncbr; 03-31-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:41 AM

glad i didnt offend you yumoncbr,keep safe and enjoy,Ant.

Quick Reply: Crash stories / how to avoid them