Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

First interstate ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First interstate ride

Hey ya'll, so I had my first interstate ride today it was fun for the most part, a little scary at first, but I think we can all agree we love the hightened(sp?) adrenaline. I think it was the merging on that was the most fearful, getting past to first 3 or 4 lanes and over to the carpool lane.

But the main reason I'm posting this is because an encounter with another rider on my way back. I was in the carpool lane on the 405 in California. I don't have mirrors so I look behind me a bit. I look back and see another rider, so I think cool, first time on the highway and I get to ride with someone. So I move to the far side of the lane and give a little wave back to let him know I see him and sayin 'wussup'. Mind you, were already doin 85-90 MPH, and next thing I know I feel the wind of his gixxer zoomin past me, must have been at least 110-115 MPH. Does'nt aknowledge me or anything. Almost like I offended him by throwin out the the peace sign.

I guess my question is, does this happen often on the interstate? when I ride around town and on beach streets, riders are always so cool and ride with you for awhile and say wussup, or even at the very least pass you in another lane...Sorry but I don't feel comfortable getting passed by so close I can feel you.

Was he just maybe in a rush? Just that kind of person? Do you guys wave or ride with others on the highway? I'm still new to riding (3 months) so I'm just not sure if things are different with highway riding. Thanks!

Old 04-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get mirrors!

Rule of thumb when another faster rider comes up behind you, is to wave them by if they want to pass. Of course, make sure its safe for you b/f you do that. <-You'll just want to move over in your lane a bit to let them by. The other rider should give you the opportunity to wave him by b/f making any sudden passes.

Then again, on the 405, its kill or be killed...so to speak. ;-)

All j/k aside, remember your basic riding techniques & safety, & stick to that. Ride your own ride.

Be safe out there.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Well, h was riding a gixxer. jk I've waved and been waved to pass, I've always returned the favor and the majority of the time gotten a response. I've noticed that guys on gixxers and harleys tend to be the guy who ignore you; but I wouldn't think anything of it, every community has jerks. Yea mirrors should be a priority, they aren't the coolest thing for your bike but I would say they are along the same lines as tires and brake pads. A must!

Old 04-11-2012, 07:17 PM

Right on, thanks yall! I guess I shouldn't be worried about, plenty fellow hondas to ride with out there right?!
And I do have a mirror, I just put on my new fairings and havent really gotten around to putting it on.. Butttt I only need one to be legal in california and I have the lane splitting mirror I.E., it folds in, and even when its on its usually folded in, I honestly just never check my mirror even when its on I just kinda forget it's there :/

Old 04-12-2012, 11:57 PM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck

hey, hey, hey... not everyone on a gixxer is a jack@$$...

Sounds like somebody you really dont want to spend too much time around anyway. All he is good for is attracting unneccessary attention from the law, or wiping out close to you and possibly takin you with him.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:28 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

No like I said I know people who are nice and have them, just the trend around here is that not all jixxer riders are ********, unfortunately a lot of ******** ride jixxers.

Install and use your mirrors. they help a lot.