Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Downshift to pass? Could someone explain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Oli
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for breaking it down for me guys. Jurgs I've been using the engine breaking out of instinct when slowing down or coming to stops. But I think I hit the throttle once when downshifting because all of a sudden the revs sped up and the bike took off. So I think accidentally I did it.

I'm still inexperienced, this is my first season riding. And not to mention I just brought home my new 250RA tonight (I had a 125 til a week ago). I did do the course, but here in Canada it teaches you the very basics and the slow speed maneuvers- it doesn't really cover riding skills above second gear. There is an advanced rider course I can take, but I'm trying to get some more km's in before I do it. It's also another $300 which I just don't have right now. So I hope you don't mind if I keep bugging you guys!!

Grendl thanks for breaking it down for me. You've all given me some great ways to try it out. I'll let you know when I get a chance to try.

Kuroshio - is that not how you would normally slow down? Say I'm doing 80-90km's on an open country road, then come to a small town where the speed drops to 50km. Wouldn't I just lay off the throttle and downshift once or twice? Or should I use the breaks to decelerate instead, reduce my speed to 50kms, then downshift? Oh shoot now I'm overthinking :P

Old 07-09-2012, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Oli
I've tried taking off from a stop in second gear once by accident because I didn't realize I hadn't downshifted all the way to first. I stalled it of course. I didn't realize you could actually take off in second without stalling it. Maybe I didn't give it enough gas as I let the clutch out?
I've started from a stop on a flat in 5th gear (highest gear) in my Forester. I did it just to see if I could...wasn't a great idea but it worked. You just need to give it a lot of gas, and slowly use the clutch.

As for when you're going into a town...on my 250r (single cylinder, so a bit different then a 4 cylinder, but not much) the bike slows itself down pretty quick when I let off the throttle. So if I need to go down 20MPH I just let off at the speed limit sign and reach the desired speed fairly quickly.

Last edited by That Guy in Maine; 07-09-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:41 PM

ok, as for slowing down by using engine braking, ALWAYS atleast lightly hit the front break lever to signal to anyone behind you that you are slowing down.. last thing you want is to end up being rear ended by some moron behind you whos only paying 50% of his attention to the road.. a friend of mine almost lost a coworker bout a month ago due to being rear ended and run over while slowing down. so always keep an eye on anyone behind you!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:44 AM

Good point, I generally just hover on the rear brake a little.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:28 PM

well even if you are just lightly using the rear brake, make sure that is actually allowing your light to come on, as with my bike, my light doesnt seem to come on for my back brake until i am applying a good amount of pressure onto it.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:55 PM

I always look at my mirrors when stopping to keep an eye on the idiot behind me. When I'm at a light I watch the guy coming up behind me so I can get the heck out of the way if he's not stopping.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:14 PM

I was told to always "match" my revs when downshifting.. ex: From 4th to 3rd before letting out the clutch give it throttle to match where the rpms will be in 3rd gear. if I dont do this it lunges me forward,

also.. a little off topic but what are the steps everyone takes when approaching a turn in order.. like say your going 50 and want to take the turn around 20ish i have been pulling in the clutch while breaking and shifting to 2nd then match revs before entering turn...

Old 07-11-2012, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by lewisF4i
I was told to always "match" my revs when downshifting.. ex: From 4th to 3rd before letting out the clutch give it throttle to match where the rpms will be in 3rd gear. if I dont do this it lunges me forward,

also.. a little off topic but what are the steps everyone takes when approaching a turn in order.. like say your going 50 and want to take the turn around 20ish i have been pulling in the clutch while breaking and shifting to 2nd then match revs before entering turn...
well, at those kinds of speeds im very casual. i just downshift and let the engine braking do most of the work, and just tap the brake lever to alert anyone behind me i am slowing down. i use the brakes as necessary as i get closer to the turn.

however, from a high speed tucked position to a rapid deceleration for a corner, i downshift, pop straight up putting weight on the pegs to allow a little more rear braking power, and brake as needed without locking up the brakes.