Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Blipping the throttle.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brveagle
Think about it for a second. On the street, very rarely will you be banging down through the gears at redline while braking at 100%.

At the track this happens every corner.
So? Lowering a gear increases engine speed every single time. Why wouldn't you want to blip it really quick and match the engine speed. You may not lock the tire up on the street, but you're still going to get jerked around at any kind of somewhat substantial RPM range if you don't.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brveagle
Think about it for a second. On the street, very rarely will you be banging down through the gears at redline while braking at 100%.

At the track this happens every corner.
Unless you're downshifting to a gear where your intended speed meets the idle speed of the engine, some degree of rev-matching is necessary. Meeting the redline is neither necessary or a part of downshifting.

Also, even on the track it is highly unlikely you'll be hitting redline downshifting. If you are, you should work on learning to feel for the right timing on shifting on your bike better or watch your tach until you do because you are wreaking havoc on your engine. Over-revving an engine as a result of downshifting is a big no-no. Every now and then accidentally is one thing, but every turn... you're doing it wrong and you will feel it in your wallet.

And fuuuurthermore, downshifting to meet the redline -- even if you can magically get it to redline every time without over-revving it -- doesn't give you any room to accelerate out of a corner in said gear; thus negating the entire reason for downshifting in racing. This is why first gear is essentially unusable in racing except on starts and slow tracks.

Last edited by chuckbear; 07-26-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do it every single shift, I like to do it, and I think it's easier on the clutch when down
shifting.