Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Tank bag

Old 11-09-2012, 03:53 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tank bag

Anyone out there use a tank bag with their F1? I'm looking at getting one for next season. When I commute to work, I wear a backpack, which I hate the feeling of. And with my jacket, it is not the most graceful thing to put on. Not to mention it covers up my flash jacket

Just looking for a simple bag with reasonable storage (expandable is great, but not necessary) with a clear window for map/gps and magnetic for easy removal. Not sure if anyone has good (or bad) experiences with fitment for these bikes.

TIA

Old 11-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although mine is an F4i, this bag will work fine and is a back pack OR a tank bag. I love it!

Thanks

Old 11-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an assortment of tank bags...small-medium-large & large multi-unit.

The one is use the most is a std Cortech Mini (magnetic base). Its about 8 x 11.5 & has a removable clear map pocket on top. Its expandable (upward).

For backpack type needs w/ wider compartment requirements, I use an Icon Urban tank bag. It doubles as a backpack if need be & can fit your helmet. Its not milspec quality but mine has been holding up well so far.

[Moving your thread to Riding Gear]

Old 11-09-2012, 08:14 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Thanks for the tips guys.
gotcbr - I looked at the cortech earlier. It seems nice, and I know that the cortech stuff is pretty well made - just a little more than I wanted to spend. I also looked at the urban. I like the style, and for that I'd be willing to spend a bit more on it, but it seems to be discontinued. Oh well.
I originally posted it in the F1 forum because I didn't know if the tank shape would cause any problems. Sorry 'bout that.

upgradedcbr - thats pretty much exactly what I am looking for. Right price too. How do you find the magnets? I am just scared of the thing flying off at... highway+ speeds
Do you guys find that tank bags scratch the paint at all?

Old 11-09-2012, 10:49 PM

Im with CorruptFile i have been looking at tank bags and have seen the magnetic ones was wondering how they hold up and be stable with highway speeds, this has been a concern of mine since i started looking..

Old 11-10-2012, 12:52 AM

my experience with magnetic tank bags is that they are held on realy well. I just forget about mine while I am riding. The magnets are really strong and you actually have to be careful when you put the bag onto the tank other wise the magnets will snap onto the tank with quite a bit of force. I haven't had any issues with paint being scratched up on the tank but that being said, my tank isn't perfect and silver paint doesn't show scratches that easily.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

I've had 2 magnetic bags and neither have had issues. One is a small one I use to carry my concealed, phone, wallet and a couple other small things and the larger one will carry a frozen dinner, extra tshirt and a couple other small items.

As far as the magnets and the paint- if it is a decent bag the magnets should have a gooc covering that will not let them scratch the paint.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never had issues w/ slippage of my magnetic tank bags. That being said, I almost always w/o fail will use the securing strap w/ 'em tho.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:59 AM
June 2013 ROTM

Great, thanks for the tips guys. Mrs. Claus has been asking what I want for christmas, so hopefully she doesn't bung this up