Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Q: Leather Jackets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q: Leather Jackets?

What up people, I just bought the Dainese Talos IV jacket today. Let me just say that I've never ridden with any armor before and have been riding my CBR for the last month or so in my T-shirt.

My question is basically, how long does it take the average leather on the jacket to actually start to loosen up. I felt like robocop, i found it really annoying. Would anyone care to shed some light on this issue for a noob such as myself.

Thanks,
TooL

Old 05-22-2005, 06:42 PM
Default RE: Q: Leather Jackets?

They will break it just takes time it will never be loose. But you whant it trim fitting that part of the safty. If it were loose it can catch tha asphalt. with it tight your more likly to slide.

Old 05-22-2005, 06:58 PM

Hey dude, I think i should have worded my question differently. I didn't mean loose like that, what i was trying to say i guess is when will the leather soften up a bit. When i'm wearing it and am standing up it feels perfect but when i actually sit on my bike, the jacket feels bulky and uncomfortable and it pushes out and away from my chest.

I might be confusing myself with my words but hopefully someone will know what i mean :0

Old 05-22-2005, 07:07 PM

Yes the leather will soften. To speed it up get a good leather conditioner and let it soak it up all night wipe off any that did not soak up.and wear it often.Next time when you buy a jacket sit on your bike before you buy.Some jacket have 90 degree arms like alpinestars that unles you are on your bike they dont fit right. The arms and chest will eventually fit right but it will take some time.

Old 05-23-2005, 05:11 AM

Aha, leather conditioner buy i must. Problem was when i bought the jacket i didn't have my bike with me so i couldn't really test it like that. With the summer heat just starting i doubt i'll be wearing it all that much anyhoo.

Thanks,
TooL

Old 06-03-2005, 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: TooL

Aha, leather conditioner buy i must. Problem was when i bought the jacket i didn't have my bike with me so i couldn't really test it like that. With the summer heat just starting i doubt i'll be wearing it all that much anyhoo.

Thanks,
TooL
Wear it all the time, better to sweat than bleed.
Leather takes a while to soften but if you wear one jacket all the time it'll happen before too long. As for leather conditioner I bought Lexol from this place as they had the best deal. .
http://www.countrysupply.com/products/sku-BPL05.html Bought the large size because I have a bunch of leather jackets and pants.

Old 06-20-2005, 07:06 AM

ORIGINAL: llhank

Wear it all the time, better to sweat than bleed.
Leather takes a while to soften but if you wear one jacket all the time it'll happen before too long. As for leather conditioner I bought Lexol from this place as they had the best deal. .
http://www.countrysupply.com/products/sku-BPL05.html Bought the large size because I have a bunch of leather jackets and pants.
Yeah i know its better to sweat than bleed, but I'm in 46 degree heat atm and I'm only riding my bike to work and back which is about 10 minutes from where I live. I wear it at night sometimes but right now its just unbearable.