Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

leather vs others...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leather vs others...

Friend of mine just wrecked his bike recently and he was wearing a leather riding jacket and he came out completely ok considering....His jacket held up great! I have a mesh style Joe Rocket Jacket and was wondering if it holds up comparably well or is leather just the best option for protection period? Also if anyone could provide some good options for full leather riding gear as I think Im going to start shoppin around for new/more gear.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: leather vs others...

leather is the only way to go, unless you go aerostich...
the JR pheonix and reactors don't hold up worth anything...in a full on slide, but if you're just commuting around town going no more than 40ish...you should be ok in those mesh jackets.

there's way too many leathers to list, my favs or spidi and alpinestars...

Old 10-17-2006, 02:28 AM

From experience lol, the textile doesn't hold up very well at all. They do their job via protection, but one hard slide/tumble, and that's all she wrote for the textile/mesh gear. In most cases, you can probably wear the leathers again, but once is all for textiles.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leather is the best in terms of abrasion resistance, but it's expensive, heavy, and not waterproof and takes forever to dry if it gets wet. As long as you're not sitting still in traffic, perforated leather is your best choice for warm weather.

Mesh is for very hot weather when you can't stand to wear something heavier - it's a lot better than bare skin, but that's about it. It's a sacrificial item. It will be destroyed in a crash, but that is much better than having your skin ripped off. As they say, gear is cheaper than skin grafts.

Other textiles, like CorDura (aerostich, etc.) are more durable and protective than mesh, less than leather.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:30 PM

Ive been doin some shoppn and was liking the alpinestar leathers...all black, not real fancy colors, pretty plain and simple. BUT DAMN! i didnt realize how much more expensive leathr gear is compared to mesh gear. Might have to wait and buy myself some nice christmas presents hehe.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:30 PM

I've heard that Dainese "D-Stone" material is pretty tough...any know if this is true?

I'd go with leather for my gear and kangaroo is suppose to be tougher and lighter than leather...

Old 10-17-2006, 09:42 PM

My buddy wrecked his f3, he wasn't going too fast but the textile jacket he was wearing (it was a cheap copy) actually melted to the pads in the arms and his shirt. Forget the textiles and get some leather.

Old 10-21-2006, 05:45 AM

I have an Icon full leather. That thing is really comfortable and nice to ride in. It also makes me feel secure as I can be sitting on a rocket.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:20 AM

A cow, kangaroo, or goat must die to protect my flesh.....I've had my share of spills on the road and track always leather and always walked away.