Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Icon Stryker vest, did I get the wrong size?

Old 05-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Icon Stryker vest, did I get the wrong size?

i went out to buy the icon stryker vest i been wanting to get for a while now, and instead of buying it on the internet i decided to go to a shop and buy it even though its more expensive, cuz i wanted to make sure the fit was right. Well i tried all three sizes on (s-m, lg-xl- and 2xl-3xl) and after trying all of them out, the s-m was out of the question, and the lg-xl was a bit too tight, not soo much though, and the biggest issue was the plates on the back rode up high on my back, then the 2xl-3xl was a little bit loose, but the plates on the back where perfect fit. However its still a bit loose and this is with all the straps secured to the max. I was almost gonna go with the lg-xl, but then the guy at the shop told me if it was him he would actually go with the 2xl-3xl cuz it covered my back more (since it has 7 plates instead of 6) and thats really whats most important. Now that i get home, i see i could have adjusted the lg-xl to bring the plates down my back some more, i dont know, im kind of OCD and it kind of bothers me that the fit is not PERFECT. And then i watch these youtube videos and see that guys bigger than me have on the lg-xl, like in that revzilla review video. Im 5'6 195 pounds. anybody out there with the 2xl-3xl stryker vest???

Old 05-10-2012, 08:11 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Seriously, I sold mine after a few weeks even though it fit me perfect. I'm 5' 10 190lb

L-XL fit me well

But I sold it,

Reason because the vest only give you protection on the back and chest....no arms, no elbows....so i sold it, save up another $120 = $240 or sold, waited for the Icon Leather Overload, or motorhead....it just feel so much more protection.

Though the styker vest looks good...but realistically...a ICON armor leather jacket is more real.

You actually can get the 2x 3x and adjust down to minimum, then wear a hoodie sweat shirt under...

If you wear something under the L XL, then it'll be tight...

IMO the vest is not too realistic (looks good though)...I an street riding event of a lowside or highside, or OP cut you off, you'll be ejected, landing, sliding how many hundred feet...you want to protect your arms and elbow too...

Old 05-10-2012, 08:14 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Oh, I'm a 43-44" chest...holding my breath. So you should measure your chest too....this way you'll know what size.

Add 1-2 size for wear anything underneath besides a t-shirt

Old 05-11-2012, 04:15 AM

well i only use my bike to and from work (to save on gas) for now, i dont really do alot of riding and dont intend to do so for a while, but i do plan on getting full upper body protection, just dont have the monehy for it now, and the jacket i really want is going for 500. So its either a stryker vest or no protection for a few months.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:46 AM

Don't put used gear out of the question, I found a great full leather Alpinestars jacket with a back protector in it, and elbow/shoulder pads for $150 shipped on eBay. It has no defects from use, fit's me perfect, I got a 42...but I'm a tiny guy with long arms haha.

Seriously go search around on eBay, go to a shop and try some gear on (make sure if you're looking at an A* jacket, try on A* gear, and the same for other brands) to get your sizes right.

I would never take my bike out without my jacket on, when I set on my bike without it...I just feel so unprotected, same with my helmet...

Old 05-11-2012, 10:25 AM
February 2012 ROTM

Yeah...I got an overload prime for $220
Shipped...even though not
Exactly my color, but
Damn close...I've seen some
Bid ending lowered than $180-$200...but on eBay you just have to be patience and wait....

The icon striker vest, I actually seen a few BIN for $65, $75 & $80....those listing is sold within an hour or even minutes...

Summer time, having a vest is better than none, but having a leather jacket with armor is better than a vest....though it gets hot...

Sorry..We are going off topic..

Now if you are concern about size, can you exchange for the 2XL? Those vest is adjustable...

Old 05-11-2012, 05:44 PM

the 2xl is what i have, i can exchange it but i would rather not as i got a pretty good discount (veterans) and i generally dont like going back and returning or exchanging things, i dunno its just me. I mean i even asked the guy after i bought it if he thinks i should go with the 2xl, and he was like "yeh man, the lg-xl was like all the up by your ribs and stuff and the back too, the 2xl covers you alot more and thats whats important, but if anything u can always come and exchange it" but like i said, once i got home i noticed how u can adjust it so much, that i could have taken the xl and made the back go down more to cover my back more.

But oh well, im just gonna stick with this one, like i said the fit is not too big on me, its just not perfect like how i wanted it to me and how i THINK i could have gotten the XL.

Now on to a new helmet, found a good price on the HJC IS-16 (yeh i know HJCs arent the greates) but thats what is in my budget. I used to own a few hjc's a few years back, but i cant freakin remember what size i was, i know it was either x-large or large. I have a old KBC im using right now and this one is large, but i dont know if the fitment of HJC's and KBC's are the same and i should order the same size. dammit, its the little things that are fustrating...

Old 05-11-2012, 06:28 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Talking

going up (2XL) to adjust down, is alot better than going XL and adjust up....because if its a windy day, and you want to wear an extra layer....with the XL, you'll feel tight. That's how I feel when I own the XL....If I wear like a sweat shirt or something thicker...it feels small. make me feel FAT, thats the feel.

Hey as for HJC, that's my GRO-PRO helmet....I love them but they run smaller. I never own a KBC so cannot compare but I have a BELL large & a HJC large....HJC feels tight & the BELL feel good, a bit room left....HJC should be similar to JOE ROCKET...

Originally Posted by FrankieCarbone
the 2xl is what i have, i can exchange it but i would rather not as i got a pretty good discount (veterans) and i generally dont like going back and returning or exchanging things, i dunno its just me. I mean i even asked the guy after i bought it if he thinks i should go with the 2xl, and he was like "yeh man, the lg-xl was like all the up by your ribs and stuff and the back too, the 2xl covers you alot more and thats whats important, but if anything u can always come and exchange it" but like i said, once i got home i noticed how u can adjust it so much, that i could have taken the xl and made the back go down more to cover my back more.

But oh well, im just gonna stick with this one, like i said the fit is not too big on me, its just not perfect like how i wanted it to me and how i THINK i could have gotten the XL.

Now on to a new helmet, found a good price on the HJC IS-16 (yeh i know HJCs arent the greates) but thats what is in my budget. I used to own a few hjc's a few years back, but i cant freakin remember what size i was, i know it was either x-large or large. I have a old KBC im using right now and this one is large, but i dont know if the fitment of HJC's and KBC's are the same and i should order the same size. dammit, its the little things that are fustrating...

Old 05-11-2012, 07:22 PM

also have u measured you head? (inches)