Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Does anyone ride with boots???

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a longboarder, I know road rash very well at speeds like 20-35mph, and it isn't fun at all lol.

I'm really liking the pumas, but I know there sneakers are very narrow, and I have pretty wide feet. Are there boots the same way?

Old 01-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I hear, the boots are cut very similar to their driving shoes... VERY NARROW

Old 01-27-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by nowensby
From what I hear, the boots are cut very similar to their driving shoes... VERY NARROW
That's what I expected. Damn!

Old 02-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Pumas are AWESOME. They don't seem like they are extremely narrow, at least no more than their casual shoes.

But there is one drawback.

SQUEAKY

Old 02-14-2011, 07:31 PM

I wear my boots every time a ride. They're a pair of POS Vega's that fall apart after like 5000 miles, so I'm always buying new ones. Unfortunately, I can't find any other boot that's as comfortable as these under $100, so I just keep buying these. I know they're safe cuz I've grazed a few curbs with them while swerving around some dick who slammed on his brakes, and came out unscathed (though I tore the sole open once).

http://www.amazon.com/Vega-Matrix-Bl.../dp/B002QF06N8

I find them on eBay all the time for ~$50

Old 02-24-2011, 09:07 AM

I learned to ride bikes in my normal sneakers but when I took the MSF course they had the footwear requirement and I switched to steel toed boots from my Marine days, haven't looked back.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sikuwolf
I learned to ride bikes in my normal sneakers but when I took the MSF course they had the footwear requirement and I switched to steel toed boots from my Marine days, haven't looked back.

I wear timberland boots, but not steel toe.

I heard from a few veteran riders that steel toe'd boots are a bad idea, because if they bend they will cut your toes off. Just sayin...

Old 02-24-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
I wear my boots every time a ride. They're a pair of POS Vega's that fall apart after like 5000 miles, so I'm always buying new ones. Unfortunately, I can't find any other boot that's as comfortable as these under $100, so I just keep buying these. I know they're safe cuz I've grazed a few curbs with them while swerving around some dick who slammed on his brakes, and came out unscathed (though I tore the sole open once).

http://www.amazon.com/Vega-Matrix-Bl.../dp/B002QF06N8

I find them on eBay all the time for ~$50
Find some cheap oxtars, if they still make them. I got mine for 90 bucks. They are race boots so they are a bit stiff, but I feel completely naked and vulnerable without them. Only time you notice the comfort issue is walking around, and even then they really are not that bad imo.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by kazspeed
I wear timberland boots, but not steel toe.

I heard from a few veteran riders that steel toe'd boots are a bad idea, because if they bend they will cut your toes off. Just sayin...
Aye, I have heard before incidents where steel toe boots have severed toes. I think mythbusters tested some years ago what it would take to cause the severing but don't remember the results.

If something did happen and my toes were cut off, I feel the damage would be much worse had I been wearing normal boots at the time. I would rather have them severed off and be able to re-attached then have them crushed, in either case I might lose them anyway.

I would stick to riding with whichever you feel safer in.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sikuwolf
Aye, I have heard before incidents where steel toe boots have severed toes. I think mythbusters tested some years ago what it would take to cause the severing but don't remember the results.

If something did happen and my toes were cut off, I feel the damage would be much worse had I been wearing normal boots at the time. I would rather have them severed off and be able to re-attached then have them crushed, in either case I might lose them anyway.

I would stick to riding with whichever you feel safer in.
Yeah I think the option of having your toes severed or crushed is a lose lose lol.

On a semi-related note I remember at my MSF course 1 girl showed up the first day in leather high heels, needless to say she was sent home.

Quick Reply: Does anyone ride with boots???