Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Does anyone ride with boots???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 01:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now the question i have about MX boots would be about how there sliding wear is, after all, there made for dirt right? so wouldnt they have different standards when it comes to how durable they are when your sliding across the pavement?

Old 06-28-2010, 07:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If a boot is armored to the point that it makes the average sportbike boot look like a fuzzy slipper, I can't see wear during a slide being a concern.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:19 PM

I can't see MX boots being short on protection but if yours are anything like mine, good luck riding a sport bike in them. They take "big and clunky" to an entirely new level.

I wear a set of the entry level A* sportbike boots which set me back just over $200 at cycle gear and I love them. I tend to do a lot of rides that involve stopping and hiking to swimming spots and I've while I wouldn't want to do a mile in them I've done some up and downhill paths around rivers and lakes in them without a problem so I'd say they are plenty good enough to wear for both riding and mild walking.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:21 PM

I wear boots just for the ankle protection. If its above 85 outside, or I ride for more than 90 min or so, my RR frame gets freakin HOT, so the rearset guard does as well

Old 08-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iBang
I can't see MX boots being short on protection but if yours are anything like mine, good luck riding a sport bike in them. They take "big and clunky" to an entirely new level.
Well, I have some miles on my Forma MX boots now and I like them quite a bit. They are very big and heavy compared to my other boots; they're way past Clone Trooper and right out into Robocop territory From the ground to the top of the toe the MX boots are about 3/4" higher.

Despite that, they work fairly well on the street. The pivot actually makes them more flexible at the ankle than my street boots even though the overall structure is much more rigid. I've worn them commuting to work on the freeway, in general city riding, and on a 230km highway trip. They're comfy and they breathe much better in hot weather than my waterproof boots (which is the reason I bought them). I really like the feeling of protection; if I had to go down with a foot trapped under the bike I'd much rather be wearing the Formas. Ditto if I ever had to kick the crap out of something The only real issue right now is that I don't get much rear brake feedback because of the massive thick soles, but that's pretty minor for street riding IMO. Especially with linked brakes

Old 08-18-2010, 07:46 PM

I've been starting to look around, i wear well over ankle heavy leather steel toes for work everyday, they are super stiff and they work just fine, when i get out on the weekends though i have a bad tendency to just wear shoes since i'm in the stiff boots all week, alot of the time i'll just wear my ropers, while not the best for stiffness and no real toe protection when i slid the first busa some years ago i had rash starting up my leg just past my HH ropers and no foot, ankle shin down injury what so ever

Old 08-18-2010, 09:12 PM

I wear A*'s SMX-Plus racing boots 99% of the time. I find that they are comfortable to wear all day as well as offer the protection I need. The only comment I ever got was when I wore them to work one day and did not change to sneakers. I had the legs of my khaki's pulled over top so they looked like shoes. When asked by a fellow employee about them, a co-worker in my office said they were boots. Since then they have been known as my Storm Trooper boots (yes, they are white).

Old 09-05-2010, 02:27 PM

I always wear road based sports boots while riding, but then again I always ride in full leather too. Currently I have RST Razor boots, as they were on offer and mine were battered. Quite comfy, and both waterproof and breathable.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:21 PM

I try to wear my Sidis' as much as I can. it feels better when I shift and I feel safer with them on. If I know i'm going to walk around for a long time I just throw my shoes in a back packand my boots fit fine in the bag.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:32 PM
MZ5

I'm glad to hear that Im not the only one wearing MX boots on my street bike. I wear my old (somewhere between 15 - 20 years!) Alpinestars Tech-4 boots. They're tall enough that the knee armor in my Spidi pants goes just under the top of the boots, so I have total armor coverage from toe to above the knee. The leather in these Tech-4s is THICK, and there's huge thick rubber on the entire inside, and extra suede leader inside the calf. The only downside is that they're super-stiff, even after all this time and all my old dirt bike riding. I can still walk around in them, but stairs are a bit of a challenge. OTOH, almost nothing could happen to my calves or feet underneath these boots! And yes, they're white, so they're my Star Wars storm trooper boots.

Quick Reply: Does anyone ride with boots???