Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Does anyone ride with boots???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sidi FTW.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:00 PM

Are you guys talking about wearing boots when goin to the twistys, tracks? Or on a daily basis?
Now I feel like a squid

Old 05-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear boots at all times -- most of my riding is in rush hour traffic, being hit by a car (or taking a spill because of one cutting me off or something) is my main concern -- reserving proper gear for track or purposely "sporty" riding doesn't make much sense to me.

FWIW, a friend of mine recently hit a vehicle on a low-traffic service road (truck left-turned right in front of him) and the only reason he still has both feet is because of his full-on A* racing boots. His leg was caught between the bike and side of the truck; the lower, more casual riding boots wouldn't have done squat to protect him in that case. But he walked away even though the impact cracked the engine side cover and peeled the outer door skin right off the truck.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I get on my . I have my boots on, Going to the store, twisties, or to a bike meet.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by ocarlos5
Are you guys talking about wearing boots when goin to the twistys, tracks? Or on a daily basis?
All of the above. One pair of Sidis for twistys and anytime wear, different race pair (higher end with all the bells and whistles).

Old 05-02-2010, 04:48 PM

Any time I am on the motorcycle and the engine is running, I have my boots on.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:20 PM

i was wondering the same thing. how many of you use your bike as a daily driver (only/main transportation) and wear your full on boots everywhere?

i cant see replacing my shoes with boots as an everyday thing. yes i want the protection but the practicality is very low for given situation. i ride my bike everywhere, and as if helmet/gloves/jacket(sometimes) isnt enough of a pain in the ***, i cant imagine how much more of a pain it would be for boots. it also gets hot as funkytown here in florida. im not saying its an excuse to ride the beach in flip-flops, shorts, and a wife beater (i dont do that but lots of people do here) -- but i do ride in a tshirt and jeans (+helmet+gloves) most of the time. terminator boots just dont seem beach friendly to me lol

Old 05-02-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by andyriot
i was wondering the same thing. how many of you use your bike as a daily driver (only/main transportation) and wear your full on boots everywhere?

i cant see replacing my shoes with boots as an everyday thing. yes i want the protection but the practicality is very low for given situation. i ride my bike everywhere, and as if helmet/gloves/jacket(sometimes) isnt enough of a pain in the ***, i cant imagine how much more of a pain it would be for boots. it also gets hot as funkytown here in florida. im not saying its an excuse to ride the beach in flip-flops, shorts, and a wife beater (i dont do that but lots of people do here) -- but i do ride in a tshirt and jeans (+helmet+gloves) most of the time. terminator boots just dont seem beach friendly to me lol
2 weeks ago someone crashes in normal boots. His foot is now gone, literally gone. Friend of a friend, but he lost in such a way that could have been prevented by wearing proper equipment.

Yes, I wear my boots everywhere, and ride to work. I wear boots when I go to the grocery store. I wear boots when I go to the ballpark.

I keep spares, or fit some into a backpack. Maybe that's the difference. I like my feet the way they are, and act like it.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

but i do ride in a tshirt and jeans (+helmet+gloves) most of the time. terminator boots just dont seem beach friendly to me lol
Then you're a squid, plain and simple. Having no skin anywhere but your hands and head isn't very beach friendly either.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't own full on race boots. My Dainese have varying descriptions between riding shoe and boot. They go well above the ankle, with impact armor covering the ankle and heel. Simply put, I don't like the Power Ranger look, they do not fit in where I go with my bike and most aren't comfortable for doing things off the bike.

It's gonna be a personal choice of how far you want to go with your PPE. I never get on my bike without those boots. But I won't be getting a full race boot unless I plan on going to the track. That's my personal choice. I understand the risks. I've heard all the horror / survival stories about (not) wearing full race boots and my choice isn't changing.

There are guys that climb into a full race suit + body armor + race boots to go to the corner store. That's more gear than I want to wear and way too restrictive (in my eyes) for what I can do. Basically restricts me to one thing: riding. If I'm climbing into all that gear, WTF would I stop at the store?

I better be going much further, much harder or **** it I have a cage to get me there.

Quick Reply: Does anyone ride with boots???