Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Cannot decide!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot decide!

Alright, I'm shopping for below the waist protection.

I live in Maine, there are maybe 5-6 days in the summer where it get's about 85 degrees.

Lucky for me, I live in a somewhat small town, which means that no matter which direction I head out of town, I can be on a road that is 45MPH minimum, and up to 55MPH speed limit within about 2-3 minutes tops from my house. Or if going from my other house it takes me about 30 seconds going down a dirt hill to get onto a nice country road that's always shady and cool, but the limit is 40 there.

Anyways, where I'm going with that is...ventilation is not a massive issue with me right now. I feel I will be able to keep pretty cool in most pants because I don't live in a city where I jump on my bike and ride stop light to stop light at 15MPH.

The only real city driving I would do is on the coast (for now) which is always nice and cool. But enough rambling about the temps.

I need help deciding what pants to go with. I know for a fact I want leather. Full leather. No mixes or textile and leather either. It needs to be 1mm thick minimum, but ideally 1.2 or more. I don't care about color.

I am a new rider, and I want full gear, so I need some pants...here's what I'm looking at.

Keep in mind, I'm only 17, so I don't have tons of money to spend on this, but want to be protected. Also, I'm pretty thin, but I do plan to wear...Alpinestars Bionic Freeride Shorts - Dirt Bike Motocross - Motorcycle Superstore underneath for a bit of extra protection.

This is what I'm looking at...feel free to suggest others. Thanks!

AGV Sport Willow Leather Pants - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Alpinestars Bat Leather Pants - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Joe Rocket Pro Street Pants - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

EDIT :

Also, this is the helmet I think I am going to get. It's pricey, but so is brain surgery, right?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...t-overt-helmet

It's nice, and it's also high visibility (requirement for my parents to let me ride). Even though it's high vis, it looks good (at least to me), and by far the best hi-vis helmet on the market (looks wise that is, probably up there protection wise too).

Last edited by That Guy in Maine; 06-07-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:05 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The MotoX underpants seems bit overkill on street...for $70....icon field armor underpants is less bulky....remember comfort is very important....

Old 06-07-2012, 01:12 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I'm wearing my 2pc suit, I use Alpinestars Track Pants. They have CE armor & knee pucks (removable via velcro patch). Also, they have a zipper around the top that allows you to attach to your jacket. I've been super happy w/ them. They provide great protection.

Also, wanted to recommend that you can purchase used as well. Often there are good deals on used gear on CL & Eb*y.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@estate I read the reviews on them, they seem to fit people fine on sport bikes where you are leaned forward and not sitting straight up.

I'd rather be safe then sorry, you know? Alpinestars makes a less bulky set that's just hard foam, no plastic...and they're cheaper, but only by like $25 I think.

@Gotcbr, yeah I bought my jacket used. It was a great deal! I got an Alpinestars Stunt jacket ($330 new) and a Dainese (sp?) back protector G2 or something like that ($90 new) for $150 shipped, in perfect condition too! Very happy with that, and am keeping an eye out for gear on eBay and CL.

Last edited by That Guy in Maine; 06-07-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:27 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah +1 Gotcbr...I really don't mind used gear..hunt around...alot of seller resell due to sizing issue. I just got a pair of Icon overlord long gloves, seller receive as gift but size don't fit, he worn it about 2 times, sold for $85 shipped...I just receive today & very pleased! Retail at $150....I've seen Sidi Vertigo boot selling for $149 only worn 2 times...there are lots of good deal if you are open minded on used gear...myself I don't like anything more than 30% used...say 75% or newer, it's okay.

I have accumulated 2 sets of gears for riding....one set leather for more aggressive riding, meaning I'll be hitting higher speed and mountain roads...

Second mesh & denim riding jeans set is for errands or locally to blockbuster, pick up some food, short rides...