Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Icon Overlord vs Alpinestars T-GP air jacket

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Icon Overlord vs Alpinestars T-GP air jacket

i tried a search but did not find the exact answer i was looking for,

basically im thinking in between these 2 "textile" jackets, in the one hand the alpinestars seems like a better brand and jacket, and also has chest protection, but in the other hand the icon seems more complete and does have the removable inner insulation vest, which is VERY useful for me being as im in NYC and i might ride to work in somehwhat cold conditions and the alpinestars offers no type of insulation, not to mention its 50 bucks cheaper. Anybody have any experience with any of these 2, Which of the 2 offers better protection?

Old 06-08-2012, 09:41 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never tried alpinestar....but I've been very please with all my icon gears. From strong-arm denim jeans, overlord prime, overlord long gloves....I've seen some alpine stars gears but style not for me...Icon more variety to mix match your bike color...

But for the price of new, I'll hunt for icon leather jacket....I got my overlord prime leather jacket from eBay, buyer purchase new and size too small, sold it to me for $220 shipped...I have 2 jackets, one mesh, one leather....leather for colder riding, higher speed limit. Mesh for short rides around town....

If you get leather, buy lexol leather conditioner from Amazon....keeps leather nice.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:42 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Icon & Alpinestars jackets. Both are quality product. Just a little FYI... Icon jackets tend to fit fuller, whereas the Alpinestars are more fitted.

Additionally, I wouldn't base a decision on a liner. I rarely use my liners anymore. Instead, I use layering... I have a polyester zip-up that fits under every jacket I have. It makes it really easy to use w/ any jacket.

Good luck w/ your decision.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:15 AM

im suprised, i would have though alot would say alpinestar would be better quality than icon. Why is alpinestars more expensive?

As far as going with the leather jacket, i really want some protection NOW, all i use is a stryker vest with smx 2 gloves and my helmet, and i eventually will get a leather jacket, but my budget only allows for me to buy a textile jacket for the next few months, as far as ebay goes i want to buy online, but i dont trust the fit and i dont know my size, as a matter of fact online the overlord is 180 shipped and in bike shop i go to its 220, and im gonna pay the extra 40 bucks just due to the fact that i can wear the jacket and get the right fit before i buy it, the last thing i want is to order a jacket, wait a week to get it, then have to return it because it did not fit and wait another 2 weeks before they get it and send the right one.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:08 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Risk = gain...that's how we save pennies here and there, so it adds up down the road. If you know your shoe size....it's okay to buy online. Some may even try it out in store then buy online. As for jacket , take a deep breath and hold, measure pit to pit....it's pretty accurate. If the difference is so little, okay to buy in store. In my few cases, the difference is over $120....not mentioning California 10% sales tax...its all about luxury, if one can afford it, why not...but if money is tight, you must research. A buddy of mine live a block away fom cycle gear...he tries all gears & compare prices using his iPhone, man, every pieces he buys online saves him $35 plus...it adds up.

If you need protection immediate, do it...safety if more important than money. When it comes to money, early planning will yield better return.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:10 PM

i was thinking of doing that, going to the store trying out the jacket (the shop i go to have both the jackets im looking at, overlord and the tg-p) and then just ordering online, but im just not that type of person, im one of those people that dont like to return things and dont like to exchange or do stuff like that, so i would feel stupid going in there having the people there help me out sizing a jacket (they are very helpful) then once i have tried all those jackets on and get the size telling them thanks and walking out the door. Im pretty sure that im a LG on the overlord going by the chart, but then again i also though i was a LG on gloves too, and turns out when i bought them i was a XL. I dont know, but 40 dollars is a big price difference.

Anybody here ever went down while wearing a overlord textile? i know its not as protective as leather, but HOW much less protection?

Old 06-10-2012, 09:47 AM

another thing, i noticed that the alpinestars t-gp has some front protection for the chest and the overlord does not, dosent this make a big difference?