Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Bluetooth Helmet

Old 03-24-2015, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth Helmet

Hey everyone,

I recently sold my 02 cbr600f4i to my brother and I purchased a 07 cbr100rr. He needs to buy a helmet now that he has a bike, and I am about due for a new one myself. We are thinking about getting bluetooth compatible helmets as we will probably be going on lots of rides together and it would be nice to be able to communicate with him.
Does anyone have any experience with bluetooth helmets out there? I see a couple available but they mostly seem to have bad reviews with speaker quality, too much wind noise in the helmet, etc. If anyone has any suggestions for a good bluetooth helmet, please let me know! (must do helmet to helmet bluetooth communication)
Also how does helmet to helmet bluetooth work? If he gets one type of helmet that has bluetooth and I get another, will they still do helmet to helmet communication without like having to go through like cell phones? or do they have to be the exact same brand and model helmet.

Thanks in advance,

Deekster

Old 03-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

I have a HJC Bluetooth ready helmet.
CL-Max II Solid
In which, I installed this chatterbox unit
XBI2H Plus | ChatterBox Official Site
I picked this helmet for 2 reasons:
1. Bluetooth capability
2. I have a giant melon of a head, (size 4-5 XL). so not many helmets out there fit me, let alone those that are Bluetooth capable.

Though it has the intercom capability you are looking for, I have not used that feature so I can't speak to it's overall quality in that area. But to answer your question about how they work, if you are familiar with Bluetooth technology, that's it pretty much. You just pair the devices, (up to 16 on this model if I remember correctly) and you are good to go.

But I can speak to the other features. I routinely stream music from my phone to the Bluetooth set and it works wonderfully. I stash my phone in my jacket pocket like I normally would and everything is fine.
Also, since I'm pretty much always on call, I have placed and received business calls while riding at 70+mph. I've never had a complaint from the person on the other end of the call and I can hear just fine. Actually, since the audio is coming into speakers on both ears, I can hear better than when I'm just using my cell phone regularly.
As to the overall wind noise, due to my limited selection of helmets I have never found one that is "whisper quiet". But I'm not sure I want that anyway. There is some wind noise that comes in but it isn't obtrusive. Most of what noise that does come in can be eliminated by slightly tilting your head down if needed.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:04 PM

Hey Deekster, I have the BiLT bluetooth helmet from Cycle Gear which is 189.99... I used it a all season last year and personally thought the sound was pretty good.. tested at 80+ mph and the other person could hear me perfectly clear. Music-wise it sounds very acceptable although dont expect Bose or Beats sounds from the headphone speakers.

I like that you can raise and lower the volume, skip songs, make and hang up calls from the buttons on the helmet...

Also it has the flip down sun shade and plenty of vents.

Some may argue its on the heavier side and can get a bit noisy with wind but its not so bad as people mention in the reviews. I cannot speak on the walkie talkie function but its supposed to work fine between riders with same helmets

BILT - Techno Bluetooth Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet - Bluetooth - Helmets - Street - Cycle Gear

Old 03-31-2015, 05:22 AM

Ok guys, thanks for the info! I will check them both out and most likely be buying one for this summer

Old 04-13-2015, 12:55 PM

Hi Deekster,

I know your interest is in a bluetooth helmet, but I have had really good luck with a bluetooth add-on to my normal helmet. I did a write up last year that you might be interested in reading, here: SENA SMH-10 Review

I'm still happy with my purchase and the fact that they continually upgrade the firmware of the device to make it better and better. And I can vouch for the intercom capabilities as well.

Good luck in your search!

~Jason