Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Communicators abd Intercoms

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 04:46 PM
April 2013 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Communicators abd Intercoms

Hello all,
I know this topic has probably been covered before, I did a search and found some info from about a year ago but with the way electronic devises change so often I thought I'd bring the subject up again.

I'm looking for a communicator or intercom to use primarily for Phone, Music and GPS while I ride. I'm using an iPhone 4 so I can do everything I need to through it. I need a way to connect the iPhone to the helmet via bluetooth.

My question is which one to look into buying? I would like one that is stereo not mono and has good sound quality.

The ones I've heard about are the Blinc M2 and the Scala rider G9. If anyone has either of these would you please let me know how you like them. Or if there is another brand that you might think is better let me know.

Thanks Doug_

Old 03-28-2013, 05:58 PM

I ride with a uclear hbc100 and my friend has the hbc200 we both enjoy ours they do pick up a little wind noise partly due to the fact my helmet is one of the louder ones (707 I forget the model) the sound is good but turn on the bass reducer the speakers don't like the bass . Only short comeing in my mind. As far as GPS with it I have never used the two together battery life is ok make sure you charge it before a long ride. It comes with a few mounting options. It's not the best by far (hbc100) the hbc200 is a small improvement. Uclear isn't the best but for the money it dose everything I want it to and ill be moveing to the hbc200 set in a few months. Other members with have more to say about there set ups. Hope it helps michael

Old 03-28-2013, 05:59 PM

Oh, I pair mine with the i4s so it will work with your i4

Old 03-29-2013, 03:52 AM
April 2013 ROTM

Originally Posted by cookml22
Oh, I pair mine with the i4s so it will work with your i4
Thanks Michael, I'll have to look into the uclear.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:52 AM

Update, dad just got the scala g9 and it's great ill be getting that set soon it's hand and fist better than the uclear Hbc100 and it's a little better than the hbc200

Old 05-26-2013, 12:22 AM

Sena smh-10 is what I use and love it, they just came out with a new low profile one which is awesome check em out, Sena Bluetooth.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:32 PM
Default Second the SENA SMH-10

I just wanted to say that I also am a big supporter of the SENA product. I have been using mine since last year and I have been impressed with it's performance as well as the company's support of the product with firmware updates and such. They just keep making it better. Some key points as to why it's good to me personally (not just specs from the brochure).

• Bluetooth 3.0... sounds clear for phone, navigation and especially music.
  • Able to completely control it with my gloves on.
  • Works with my iPhone 5 seamlessly. Only one quick touch to the call button and SIRI is up and doing her thing. My hand is back on the bars where it belongs and I am able to do all I need through SIRI. From getting directions to switching my playlist, whatever you want to do.
  • (side note, I use a RAM XGrip Universal mount that puts my phone right down in the center hole of the Triple Tree, easy to glance at if needed but out of the way of gauges and such)
  • If calls are necessary, the mic on this is awesome. I have had conversations while on the freeway (I do keep any conversation short though when I am riding... or driving for that matter. Not much of a phone chatter...) and the person on the other end didn't even know I was on my bike at all.
  • Lastly it mounted easily to my helmet without any helmet modification or holes. It's nice that the "important Part" clips onto the mount and can be removed and carried in to the house for charging or just safe keeping if you leave your helmet on your bike. Without removing the mount itself.
This comes in two flavors, one includes hardwired thin speakers that mount in your helmet (this is what I have) and the other has the mini jack that you can plug the thin speakers into or use your own headphones. I bring this up because the speakers didn't work so well for me... they just were not loud enough when I was wearing my ear protection. Even though they were hardwired I went ahead and cut them off and soldered a headphone jack onto the wire myself. (I hate returning stuff online).

With the earbuds I get the best of both worlds, to hear my communication, or music clearly AND they act as my ear protection. I never blast the music, it's completely unnecessary, because it can be heard clearly through the earbuds without blasting it, while still hearing my bike and traffic around me.

So that is my two cents on the SENA. I really enjoy it a lot! I haven't had the opportunity to use it with another SENA headset, but it does do like a possible 4 way intercom I believe through the Bluetooth. I would only ever use two way with a passenger, but trying to get my girlfriend on a bike is a whole other post!

Some pictures of my Personal setup... (minus the phone mount, may add that pic later)

SIDE VIEW:
Name:  IMG_5163_zpsa201caa7.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  124.8 KB

FRONT VIEW:
Name:  IMG_5165_zps696c852a.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  109.3 KB

MOUNT:
Name:  IMG_5162_zps19e640b5.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  64.6 KB

MIC: (Paper is there so you can see the mic, otherwise it blends)
Name:  IMG_5161_zps6954345f.jpg
Size:  75.2 KB

IMPORTANT PART OFF:
Name:  ImportantPart_zps99e58f6d.jpg
Size:  79.3 KB

Old 05-30-2013, 03:12 PM
April 2013 ROTM

Hey JMeekman, Thanks for the great review. It's good to hear from someone who actually uses a product instead of reading it in a brochure or hearing some sales pitch. I'd like to see the phone mount. That's something else I wondered about. I'm using an iPhone 4 with 32gb of music.

It's good to know about the model with the plug for the speakers or ear buds.

Thanks again.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:54 PM

Communicators abd Intercoms-photo-1-.jpg

Communicators abd Intercoms-photo-2-.jpg

Communicators abd Intercoms-charger-3.jpg

Made my own phone holder out of my otterbox holster that I never used and about 2 dollars in parts from the hardware store. Added the water proof usb port to charge my phone when Im riding if need be, A friend of mine helps produce the chargers they are from 3brpowersports.com All works very well.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:06 PM

Another +1 for the Sena. I've got the same setup as jmeekman, and it has been pretty awesome so far. Used the GPS all day saturday via iphone5, along with music playing.

Don't expect any bass in this headset though haha