Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Bluetooth helmet

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Bluetooth helmet

Has anyone had one of these? I've got one but wanted to know what people think of them? do you think there safe? or does it take something away from riding a bike??
I'm still new to riding so any and every input is taken on-board.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are really boffo, IF used with care/caution. Tunes are nice (better than wind noise,
sometimes) if you don't crank too hard and allow it to distract from the main focus.

Phone is hip, (If you keep it SHORT!!)

Talking to a passenger or buddy rider is the real deal.
That's where it really shines, as an accessory.

I've got a Midland BT2. A lot of folks are rolling with the Scalia or Sena.
Blueant has an option, as well. These all offer a kit to install in your personal skid-lid.
There are starting to be offerings in helmets w/OEM headsets, also.

Ern

Old 10-21-2012, 04:17 AM

Boffo?? Ive got one per built in just over £100 from the tail end show near peterbough not got a 2nd helmet yet as I'm new to riding so don't want to take any passenger yet until I'm happy I can do it. I love the face I can have music on to take away the wind noise and answer quick calls, but still get texts a lot

Old 11-29-2012, 08:35 PM

I have a Hawk Aviator Skull Advance Dual Visor Modular Helmet with Bluetooth that I paid about $125 & would say its worth the money. Not the greatest in the world 1 - 10 rating, I'd give it a 7. I can hear my tunes & recieve call, but wind noise people say they can't really hear me talk due to wind noise.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

personally ill only put tunes in on a long ride,
"city travel", ah no!!! forget about-it!! I want to know if some taps their horn before t-boning me!!! and every little bit helps, especially if your an in-experience rider..
you don't want your experience level to rise, do to not hearing whats around you..
jay..

Old 11-29-2012, 11:38 PM

I would wait a bit before going to the bluetooth. Aside from my personal taste, I think as an inexperienced rider, you are better listening to ambient sounds the bike and yes even the wind noise. Music or a phone call while you are riding -especially the phone will cut your focus on the bike way down.
Personally I enjoy the wind noise and the sound of the bike but thats me personally. If I am on my bike part of the ride is to get away from the phone and the rest of the world.
I can see it would be cool to talk to a buddy on a ride ,and some of my freinds do that I dont want it.Hand signals just fine.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:41 AM

cool been using it, i dont have it loud but i just like the back round noise been good so far, as i work nights i miss the traffic so i dont worry too much about other car horns, i dont normally see anyone on the way to work :-) which makes the ride fun, well was untill this week when the temp dropped to freeezing !!! lol

Old 11-30-2012, 08:29 AM

lukewilly: where do you live??

grendl: +1

Old 12-02-2012, 10:13 AM

i'm in kings lynn. England well just out side of it so have all the back roads to play on :-)

Old 12-02-2012, 09:18 PM

so funny.. im tired tonight and almost forgot why I asked..
well let me say, I don't know the area well..lol as you know I don't know it at all.. but what I will say: just exercise your best judgment.. there are lots of people on this site who have been hurt on their two wheels by no means of their own. and actually madhatter had mentioned this in another post a while back, just act like everyone on the road cant see you.. and he's right.. in the wee hours of the morning there can be people still out from the night before.. especially this time of the year, fogged up windshields ect.. but also being new to riding you want to keep your destraction level down.. if only to be able to react to hazardous drivers..

like I said earlier: my preference is the "bike" over tunes.. this comes from a guy with a lot of experience and a pin,screw and plate and or a combination of all.. in every limb of my body and most of them come from the other drivers fault in different accidents.. now, not to sound too morbid or a turn-off. please don't misunderstand me.. I just care about people and especially the ones that share my interest.. so, be safe out there.. def buy yourself some good gear.. make sure its all padded.. and if you need to know what it looks like being smashed on the pavement, just utube it.. type in: bike or motocycle wheelies.. after watching a few of those, they soon become everything else.. its all good footage.. you def can pick a few things up, just by watching some of the not so smart people out there!!you know guys with shorts and sandels!! yup those are classic.. also you can utube peoples thoughts on the blue-tooth.. nothing like a verbal description of the products..
cheers..
jay

Quick Reply: Bluetooth helmet