Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Big guy gear?

Old 05-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big guy gear?

I have an icon helmet, and power trip gloves and leather jacket. I love the helmet except it fogs a little but the gloves and jacket are just plain uncomfortable. I stopped using the gloves altogether because of the pain I was getting within 5 minutes of riding. I now use craftsmen mechanic gloves with leather palms temporarily till I can find some nice gloves.

As for the jacket I am 100% fine with how heavy it is and how hot it gets but I am not comfortable because of the back protector and elbow pads. I didn't buy the jacket for the pads I bought it so I wont get bad rash when I go down..

Doe's any one know where I can get some decent leather gloves with no knuckle pads for a BIG hand? I need like XXXL. Also am I going to have to get a jacket from like Wilson leather or a cruiser jacket so I don't get a back/elbow protector?

I know some big boys ride out there. I can't be the only one..

Old 05-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Registered Users

i have the icon timax 2 mesh jacket I love it and it in XXXL

Old 05-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah mesh for summer ......something like these

Old 05-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The jacket sounds like its just a poor fit. I have a Icon Motorhead jacket which I thought fit me well. Then I moved up to a Dainese New Delmar jacket and immediately felt a difference. The armor placement in the new jacket felt more natural compared to the Icon. I don't notice the armor at all in Dainese in any position. Riding or walking around in it.

If there's a dealer near you with a good selection of gear, I'd recommend going in and trying different styles of jackets. You don't need to pay what I did for a quality jacket. But different manufacturers will have different cuts and armor placement. Also you may look for a jacket with a removable back protector. Or one with a smaller back protector.

As for gloves, there are also gloves that still have knuckle protection but not pad style. Yoshimura RRS Leather Gloves have a carbon fiber mold for knuckle protection for example. Reasonably priced too

Old 05-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are quite a few options for gloves, as many of them come in 3XL. If you can wear craftsman mechanics, you shouldn't have any problem finding something.
I'm currently using Olympia leathers with the gel palm, as it helps a lot with vibes on long trips. I wear an XL perfectly in most gloves, but the olympias are actually a tad big, but you can cinch them.

As far as the jacket, I wouldn't buy anything in a regular leather store. Fashion leather is not anywhere near as strong as the leather used in moto gear, and the seams are certainly not made to withstand a crash.
In short, a fashion leather jacket will (in many cases) be shredded if you fall.

I would try and find a moto store and try a couple on. You may find something that you really like and buy it there, or you can at least get an idea of sizing on certain brands, etc.
Plus.....If you can, stick with something armored. Impact resistance is important, too.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:03 PM

Just an update in my quest for comfortable gear for the lineman sized guy. I went to cyclegear and tried on a bunch of gloves and the only ones that were comfortable were winter gloves and $86. I felt that was a bit pricey for gloves I would only use for a month or two when it gets colder. So I went to two dealers and found a pair of leather cruiser gloves for $16 but passed on them because I felt I could do better. I went back to cycle gear last week and found icon twenty niner gloves.http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...er-Gloves.aspx I thought they were the most comfortable gloves in the world. I was a little hesitant because of the mesh but I decided these would be about 99% better than my mechanics gloves in the event of a spill. These gloves have excellent airflow and It feels like nothing is there.

*** so comfortable I opted to wear them on the DRIVE home.***

I also got a gold shield for my icon helmet and I am not happy with the color and decided I need to find another helmet that matches my bike better or get my current one painted.

Ordered tour master riding pants and a triple tree bag from cycle gear with a coupon for 15% off coupon code 534870! Will update on quality and fit.