Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Bike Communicators

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Friend and Hero ...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bike Communicators

I would normally do this for you now shadow but need to recharge the batteries first will post some up for you tomorrow and damm it PG I didn't say where I got them from LOL but it looks like everybody knows

Old 05-05-2008, 07:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bike Communicators

I've chosen AutoCom. Perhaps I am now biased.

The biggest feature to look for is a noise cancelling microphone. A traditional simple microphone will pick up all noise. If you are doing 60mph the wind noise is loud, the exhaust is loud... your voice will get lost in that mess.

The noise cancelling mic has two mics... a front and a back. You talk into the back. The front mic only pics up the noise, the back picks up the noise and your talking. I have no idea how - but it drops the crap and transmits your voice. Not only that - VOX works properly because the wind isn't tripping the VOX.

My current setup?

Autocom under the seat. The FRS radio (for bike to bike) and the GPS sit on the front of the bike. The cables come out between the seat and run up the tank into the tankbag. You don't have to touch them when you get off.

The helmet cord comes out by my hip. I run it behind my shoulder, up to the helmet. (behind means that you can still shoulder check right, without having the cord dangling loose when looking straight ahead normally)

The Chatterbox has gotten nothing but terrible reviews from my Iron Butt friends. why? The VOX doesn't work well at speed - it is heavy on the helmet, it doesn't have decent battery life.

The Autocom style units can run right off your bike battery - or a 9v battery.

The bottom line - you get what you pay for. Want proof? Go to advriders and see what they use. The Autocom Active-Plus setup for 2 riders and 2 radio cables is damn near $400. I have an older pro model and it is fantastic. I just setup an Active Plus for a friend and it has more inputs and better volume controls. Love it.