CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Product Reviews (https://cbrforum.com/forum/product-reviews-29/)
-   -   Bike Communicators (https://cbrforum.com/forum/product-reviews-29/bike-communicators-67826/)

GILL 05-02-2008 12:54 PM

Bike Communicators

Can anyone share their thoughts on which is the best Bike Communicator for a full face helmet?

I am looking at the Chatterbox GMRS-X1 but not sure if I want it stuck to the side of my helmet or not. Anyone here using something differnt that they would recommend?

Shadow 05-02-2008 01:05 PM

RE: Bike Communicators

Gill, if you want the very best, go for the Autocom or Starcom 1 Advance units - good and clear at ANY SPEED. Go to the Autocom or Starcom websites and watch and listen to the videos - clear speech bike to bike at over 140MPH.....
I imported a bunch of cheaper models, Midland radios, intercoms etc, but the above are the best by far.Not cheap, but the best.

MarkR 05-02-2008 05:39 PM

I'm no expert, but there would be no way that a device the size of a small toaster will be mounted to my helmet (The chatterbox is fck'n huge).

I have a mate with the 'Cardo Scala-Rider Teamset' and it's OK but has limitations, he sais it's OK, but I know he's not that happy with it.

I have another mate with a Starcom, he has a problem with the CB Radio going flat quickly when plugged in. I told him that it’s a cabling issue. Apart from the fact that it's cabled, it look really good and configurable. Cables are great but for one small thing, the cable to the helmet.

I'm in the market but yet to see something. I want music(mp3/Radio), phone, CB, and intercom (order of preference), with controls on the handle bar.
I like the idea of a master control box under the seat, but with a Bluetooth connection to the helmet, and a second to the pillion.
I'm no expert, but there would be no way that a device the size of a small toaster will be mounted to my helmet (The chatterbox is fck'n huge).

I have a mate with the 'Cardo Scala-Rider Teamset' and it's OK but has limitations, he sais it's OK, but I know he's not that happy with it.

I have another mate with a Starcom, he has a problem with the CB Radio going flat quickly when plugged in. I told him that it’s a cabling issue. Apart from the fact that it's cabled, it look really good and configurable. Cables are great but for one small thing, the cable to the helmet.

I'm in the market but yet to see something. I want music(mp3/Radio), phone, CB, and intercom (order of preference), with controls on the handle bar.
I like the idea of a master control box under the seat, but with a Bluetooth connection to the helmet, and a second to the pillion.

MarkR 05-02-2008 07:30 PM

The

document.write(truncate('BlueAnt Bluetooth Handsfree & Intercom Helmet Kit', 60));

BlueAnt Bluetooth Handsfree & Intercom Helmet KitLooks OK.
It only has one earpiece and will only talk to the passenger or phone but most phones have mp3.
it's not a perfect option, but it's not expensive either.

I would recommend strongly on finding people with this equipment before purchasing, this technology has many pitholes.

Now - - I'm back to work (... whip, whip ...)

Shadow 05-03-2008 02:32 AM

I'm not sure I understood any of your last, MarkR.........
Your buddy's radio may be set on the "high power" settings (ch1-ch8 on Midland units) which will flatten the batteries in about 4 hours. Other channels run on 500Mw which is good for about 2-3 KM, and will have you chatting all day, maybe up to 22 hours on one charge.
I have no conection with Starcom or Autocom, but both have the facility to run a variety of extras, apart from rider/pillion, ie bike to bike, cellphones, music sources, or anything else you may dream up.
The Midland comes out with a twin-earpiece speaker and mike set, which is very slim and fits in my tight-fitting Arai with no problem. (I have no connection to them either) The helmet sets on all units come with quick-connect plugs outside the helmet, which are easy to use, even with gloves on. All have push to talk buttons on the bars, and can be set to receive and make phonecalls , listen to music etc so a control box isn't necessary.The helmet conector cable really isn't a problem, and does not restrict you in any way. Just remember to disconnect from the bike when dismounting. I have friends who have used the Scala Rider, and the Teamset, they were not that impressed, for the money.......

MarkR 05-03-2008 05:38 AM

You did miss it a little Shadow1.
The problem was with theCB losing charge quickly, sounds like the cabling is causing the CB not to goto sleep, therefore using too much power, when the CB is off the bike, Power usage is normal.

The traditional Cable system Communicators would be far superior to wireless in everyway but the cord to the helmet.
My ideal system would be Bluetooth to a central box in the bike where everything else plugs into (like the Starcom/Autocom systems), but I'm yet to see such a system.

I look at stuff 2 years ago, and Bluetooth communicators were basically non-existent.
Give it time.

MarkR 05-04-2008 02:13 AM

I like to report back on my views on the Cardo scala-Rider TeamSet.

I had a good play with one today testing the feature-set and the dymanic of this product. I went for a ride with one testing the intercom and then played with the BlueTooth paired to a phone.
Heres my detailed Investigatory report.

-- They're sh1t, don't buy one. --

HARDCORP 8654 05-04-2008 11:01 PM

Okay I don't know whether these are available to everyone or not, but I happen to have one pair for personal use of Icom D92E D.Star radios with throat mics and earpieces. They have the ability to operate at any range as far as I know. Never been out of range with these honest to god can withstand being submerged and still function. I'm sure they cost quite a bit if they are available to the general public, but are well worth it. They can actually seek out an Internet connection and tie you into the world wide web. Also have a built-in voiceover GPS system to guide you into where ever your headed would not suggest using this feature for highway navigation. It gives you more a overland route. If you understand what I'm saying

PlayfulGod 05-04-2008 11:15 PM

ORIGINAL: HARDCORP 8654

Okay I don't know whether these are available to everyone or not, but I happen to have one pair for personal use of Icom D92E D.Star radios with throat mics and earpieces. They have the ability to operate at any range as far as I know. Never been out of range with these honest to god can withstand being submerged and still function. I'm sure they cost quite a bit if they are available to the general public, but are well worth it. They can actually seek out an Internet connection and tie you into the world wide web. Also have a built-in voiceover GPS system to guide you into where ever your headed would not suggest using this feature for highway navigation. It gives you more a overland route. If you understand what I'm saying

pssst, stop bragging about your super soldier toys lol. Yea I think I seen something along those lines b4, wasnt cheap tho.

Shadow 05-04-2008 11:22 PM

I think the Icoms are military application only, Gunny........but I'd love some pics, if you could.....:D