Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

Spicing up the paintwork.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spicing up the paintwork.

So in my 3 weeks of biking Ive nearly been hit 3 times. Tonight was by far the closest ive been to flying and it really pisses me off. Some tool somehow managed to not see me sitting behind another car at the lights. I was going straight on and he was turnin right (UK). As the car infront of me turns left this d*ckhead turns right. I had to slam on the anchors and stopped with about half a ft to spare. Im usually quite composed but I really let loose on the ****.

What do you do to make yourself more visable at nights? I wear a high-vis vest and thought that was enough.

I was looking at my helmet earlier on and Im thinking about taking apart an old LED bike light and installing it in my helmet. Im hoping to install it so the the air vent on the top of my helmet lights up.

Im not to sure on body lighting for the bike but I think its ok to have static white light. Id mainly drill in the side fairings so the light is aimed down at the road. If you saw the bike head on there would be a patch of light about half a meter from each side of the bike on the road.

Also thought about a paintwork change, since the bikes all black.

Last edited by Preid; 08-08-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

What color is your gear? I'd think the hi-vis vest would help but damn. My fiance and I both have a lot of white in our jackets; his is mostly white with some black, mine is mostly white with some red. He has a white bike, mine's silver/red.

I also have reflective tape on the back of my boots and helmet- I always did that when I was a runner and going out in the evenings, I carried it over for that.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:17 PM

My leathers are black with high vis along the seams. Ive highvis triangles built into the back off the boots. Helmets mainly white and my gloves are bright yellow.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:08 PM

maybe try a set of HIDs. i think ive been noticed way more with them compared to with out

Old 08-10-2009, 08:34 PM

loud pipes and bright lights save lives!

Old 08-25-2009, 12:52 PM

orange safety vest a night. It may look dumb but it will save your life.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:36 PM

i cant remember who it is, but they make a helmet with a flashing LED in the back... i saw it at my near by honda dealer

Old 09-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check if led light kits are legal in your... err, country I have a blue led kit on my bike. Highly visible at night going by the stares I get everywhere. Someone here also put reflective vinyls on their bike.

If LEDs aren't an option, I'd look at the HID and reflective vinyl. Vinyl may not go with your bike's color scheme but possibly reflective rim tape? If not possibly accenting some of your existing designs with reflective tape?

Old 10-01-2009, 03:02 PM

i gotta get some new paint myself

Old 10-01-2009, 05:15 PM

Quick update.

The bikes now lined with red and gray reflective tape. Ill get pictures up tomorrow if I have time before work.

Also, my new lighting project is in full swing. Im attaching red and white LED's all over the bike which will illuminate the bike in the same way as Overlords bike (might have got the username wrong but its the bike that glows red throughout).

The red LED's will be wired into the front brake switch so every time I hit the brakes the entire bike will glow red. The white LED's will be wired to the fullbeam/passing switch. The parts are being sourced from college so its slowly coming together bit by bit. Im hoping to have it working by the time it gets dark at 6pm. There will be a master switch for both circuits just incase the feds dont like it.