Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

Love the Magna

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Friend and Hero ...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Love the Magna

Yes your correct about the restrictions, and I do believe if memory serves me correctly.87, 88 and 89 was the highest output performance wise I studied quite a bit about the V4 series engines back when I had my VFR absolutely love that bike, but couldn't find a great deal on one when I was looking around. This last time hated to part with the bike almost had to pry it away from me. It was only because of domestic issues and permanent duty station change. What a joke on that one . Now back to my take on the V4. If you look at the original numbers for torque and horsepower performance in its cc size, there wasn't anything even close. It truly looks like the inlines 4 were on their way out and the V4 were going to become the dominant species in the performance world but if the rumors were true. And now they are considered rumors. At the time they were considered facts. I do believe they were probably a fact. Honda had a serious soft camshaft problem couple with a minor oiling issue within their V 65 heads and do believe they actually solved the problem in their 84 and 85 models, but word of mouth + negative articles that were written on the issue. Just ended up putting a bullet in the head of the march forward and they decided to since there wasn't an apparent problem with their midsize V 45 they would continue on with it. It is another one of those. Can you only imagine What If issues were given today's technology, better quality control. True graphic design technology and long-term stress analysis had been available in the manner in which it is today. What If
Also, let's face it once The Magna was gone and the Marauder soon followed and the Vmax was the last Mohican. There wasn't much cause to upgrade it

Old 09-23-2007, 08:12 PM

True. V-Max's do have crank bearing problems though. A motorcycle mechanic friend of mine has 5 at his shop waiting for a rebuild, all with the same problem. 2 of them are his. I love a good old V4 though. Honda really scored with another V engine, the V5 in the RC211V GP bike. There is all sorts of patent surrounding the firing order and crank layout on that engine. It's suposedly one of the greatest of all time... ?

Old 11-12-2007, 08:28 AM

I have a v65 Sabre in my garage, just bought it last spring. It was awesome for its time, but only 3 years later was gettin' a serious trimming from good 600s. It's still a fun ride, especially over the long haul, but it's not a sportbike. Its tall gearing and rpm/oiling issues mean that around town you're in 1st gear, getting kicked in the **** by the backlash from the driveshaft. On the highway it just eats up miles............