Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

Help me pick my next bike! (pretty please)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick my next bike! (pretty please)

Alright, short story long, currently I'm the owner of a 1987 CBR1000F, that has been taken apart to fix 'er up some five years ago, after riding it for one (1) season.
It's been made into a streetfighter, with a bunch of shoddy welding on the rear subframe (made from scratch out of steel tubing, sketchy as ****), and I have a lot of other jobs to do to make it ride smooth again.
The previous owner, who 'built' it, didn't do too good a job building a decent bike, so basically I'm not only doing maintenance and some repairs, but a full/entire rebuild top to bottom... and that will take a lot of time and money, but I'm not sure the cost and effort are worth it (riding/selling) but it would look really cool and it would be something I fixed, not something I just threw money at to buy.
So I am thinking about selling of some of the parts and putting aside other parts for reuse on another bike.

So, on another bike... not easy picking something I like, I have to fit comfortably too, as I'm 2.05m/6'10" and built like a trucker (because I am a truck driver I suppose) I need a bike fit for above average tall people and enough power to not suffer too much from my above average weight.
My wife and I have two kids, I work and she takes care of the mini-me's; so my budget is not too big.
Lucky for my budget I'm a fan of 90's models, maybe early 2k, I was thinking about trying a Blackbird or something alike.
Not looking for a flat-out racer or an old farts' battleship, something in between on the sporty side like the CBR-XX, doesn't have to be a Honda.
What are my options, really?

Old 06-09-2017, 06:07 PM

I think you need to say what your budget actually is. Assuming it is circa 2.5K, i would suggest an 1100 or 1150GS BMW. If you think they are boring just give one a try. You may be surprised.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:08 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Stefan,

I think maybe if your budget will stretch to a Blackbird, you've answered your own question.

Alternatives are Kawasaki ZZR1100 or possibly a ZX9R (if it will fit you), or maybe a Suzuki RF900.

Being the size you are, I would recommend trying the riding position of anything your considering first, just to narrow down the possibilities.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:28 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

My mate Dave swears by his old Blackbird, sold a previous one and has forever regretted it. (He goes on a bit lol) A good all rounder no doubt about it.
ZZR's as Hawkwind says a good shout as well.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkwind2016
Hi Stefan,

I think maybe if your budget will stretch to a Blackbird, you've answered your own question.

Alternatives are Kawasaki ZZR1100 or possibly a ZX9R (if it will fit you), or maybe a Suzuki RF900.

Being the size you are, I would recommend trying the riding position of anything your considering first, just to narrow down the possibilities.
Originally Posted by wes 17
My mate Dave swears by his old Blackbird, sold a previous one and has forever regretted it. (He goes on a bit lol) A good all rounder no doubt about it.
ZZR's as Hawkwind says a good shout as well.
Agree here , good choice from Hawkwind and Wes

Old 06-12-2017, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by MarkShelley
I think you need to say what your budget actually is. Assuming it is circa 2.5K, i would suggest an 1100 or 1150GS BMW. If you think they are boring just give one a try. You may be surprised.
You guessed right. Good advise, but I don't like the GS model tbh.
My dad used to own a Cruiser, it had nice power, but I didn't like the boxer + drive shaft too much. Pretty much deletes the BMW from my searching, unfortunately.

Hi Stefan,

I'm def. biased towards the XX, it just seems a natural choice after the F, carbed and early FI models are certainly within budget.
But I do not want to fall for that 'I've always had Honda's and that will never change' mentality some people have.
Test riding is a must, I will never buy something unseen (unless the deal is so sweet I could sell it on for a bit extra without doing anything to it), and I will search for anything I can find online before buying too.
My brother in law owned a ZX9R before, early 2000's somewhere, and I did fit comfortably (aftermarket/adjustable pegs helped too), like a 900RR or GSXR it just seems a bit hardcore for me though, but I'll only really find out after buying one I guess.
I just don't want to waste a sellers time, I hate time wasters (aka tire kickers or test pilots) when selling, so I don't want to be one.
Styling, the ZZR can not win from the XX, it's definitely the better looking one.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:44 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by stefan2m
You guessed right. Good advise, but I don't like the GS model tbh.
My dad used to own a Cruiser, it had nice power, but I didn't like the boxer + drive shaft too much. Pretty much deletes the BMW from my searching, unfortunately.

I'm def. biased towards the XX, it just seems a natural choice after the F, carbed and early FI models are certainly within budget.
But I do not want to fall for that 'I've always had Honda's and that will never change' mentality some people have.
Test riding is a must, I will never buy something unseen (unless the deal is so sweet I could sell it on for a bit extra without doing anything to it), and I will search for anything I can find online before buying too.
My brother in law owned a ZX9R before, early 2000's somewhere, and I did fit comfortably (aftermarket/adjustable pegs helped too), like a 900RR or GSXR it just seems a bit hardcore for me though, but I'll only really find out after buying one I guess.
I just don't want to waste a sellers time, I hate time wasters (aka tire kickers or test pilots) when selling, so I don't want to be one.
Styling, the ZZR can not win from the XX, it's definitely the better looking one.
Sounds like you've already made up your mind

I now have a 900RR after my 1000F, just had to scratch that sports bike itch.

But the rough plan, is maybe later, in a couple of years, try a BBird, to regain that comfort. Similar size to the 1000F, nice big fairing, a bit more modern than the F, what's not to like??

As far as the Honda thing is concerned, I just look for value for money and the old Hondas seem to be the best deals out there

Old 06-14-2017, 09:59 AM

Sounds like you've already made up your mind

I now have a 900RR after my 1000F, just had to scratch that sports bike itch.

But the rough plan, is maybe later, in a couple of years, try a BBird, to regain that comfort. Similar size to the 1000F, nice big fairing, a bit more modern than the F, what's not to like??

As far as the Honda thing is concerned, I just look for value for money and the old Hondas seem to be the best deals out there
Kind of made up my mind, I think the XX is the best next bike; I'm just not yet ready to give up on rebuilding the F... when going over what needs to be done earlier, I noticed I still get excited by the picture I have in mind of the end result, just as the idea of a XX.
Oh, and I agree on the value for money part, they age well but get really cheap. Classifieds in Germany are filled with Blackbirds between 1500 and 2000 euros (locally they start at 1900-ish).