New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

help me pick out bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me pick out bike

hey new to forum

well the thing is i need help picking out a bike
lots of people say a 600 isnt good for a beginners bike
but i have rode before, the bike i have rode were cbr 600rr, r6, and a gsxr 600
cbr my fave, im 16, 110lbs. people think thats too much power i have not gone any faster then 100mph.

too much power?
what do you think?

Old 02-05-2008, 02:01 AM
Default RE: help me pick out bike

Welcome to the forum.

It's all about self control. Many people start out on 600s and do just fine. Things that get new riders in trouble with the bigger bikes are (Throttle control, Powerful Brakes, and lack of respect for the machine)

Keep the speed for the track and not the streets(to many variables).

Start off with a used bike first though. Nothing like seeing your new 8k+ toy sliding across the ashaplt. Its not if you're going to wreck its when.

Also with the money you save buying a used bike .. INVEST into quality gear for yourself (Boots, helmet, gloves, jacket, back brace, and riding pants)and your bike while signing up for the MSF course in your area. Dress for the crash not the ride.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:46 AM
Banned

im 16, 110lbs.
Schwinn makes nice pretty bikes for you.

Don't geta modern 600, just don't.

Oh yeah, stay in school, don't do drugs.

edit:Seriously, even older, slower, smaller bikes are fun, and they are much more safe to learn on.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:26 AM

Your choices should be cbr 600's in F2, F3, F4... Suzuki's SV650... or Kawi's 250 or 500. You should definitely stay on something older, so when you drop, you don't feel bad. Plus, at your age, insurance rates are going to be through the roof.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:27 AM

ORIGINAL: crashkhanman

Welcome to the forum.

It's all about self control. Many people start out on 600s and do just fine. Things that get new riders in trouble with the bigger bikes are (Throttle control, Powerful Brakes, and lack of respect for the machine)

Keep the speed for the track and not the streets(to many variables).

Start off with a used bike first though. Nothing like seeing your new 8k+ toy sliding across the ashaplt. Its not if you're going to wreck its when.

Also with the money you save buying a used bike .. INVEST into quality gear for yourself (Boots, helmet, gloves, jacket, back brace, and riding pants)and your bike while signing up for the MSF course in your area. Dress for the crash not the ride.

the reason i dont want to get a smaller bike is because i know ill get bored way to easy
i know what you mean about Throttle control and Powerful Brakes i see alot of newbies like me wheelie way too high and flip the bike or faceplant. ill save that for my bmx bike lol
and i think its all about respect for the bike
thing is i do other motorsports so i know what its like to not have gear on and it sucks!!!!

Old 02-05-2008, 06:53 AM

yea that would be a good idea but i can stand how older bikes feel
when i ride older bikes it feels like it doesnt have enough power
but when i get on a rr it feels like i can go alot faster then what im going even in high speeds
i like the fact that i still have more to work on

Old 02-05-2008, 09:31 AM

ORIGINAL: tonyp79247

yea that would be a good idea but i can stand how older bikes feel
when i ride older bikes it feels like it doesnt have enough power
but when i get on a rr it feels like i can go alot faster then what im going even in high speeds
i like the fact that i still have more to work on

[X(] It always makes me cringe when someone "complains" about "older" bikes (which, when they were released, were cutting edge FAST mind you) not having enough power... then backs that up with any comment about being glad they can go even faster.

The advice I say to you is, take it nice and slow and easy. Welcome to the site, for sure! We'd like to keep you around for a while!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:02 AM

I personally really like the GSXR-600 and of course my.... 600RR

It's about being safe and smart, make sure you do both those things and you will be fine.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:16 AM

I would say 90% of all the people riding the 600rr on the street -'03 - '08 can't even ride thebikeat their capacity. With that being said... why would you need something faster? And I'm not even downing those riders (I'm one of them), its not safe too on the street. Take no offense to this... I don't see the maturity coming through in your posts yet. Wait a little bit, save some on insurance, save up and then go for one of those bikes sixhundredrr recommended. You could have the fastest bike out there in the world... but it doesn't make a bit of difference if you don't know how to ride it probably and safely.

Forget wheelie's, endo's(stoppies), 100+ mphs ... Focus on technique.

There has been a couple times where I've been going 10 - 20mphs over the speed limit just in my own lane and pass an officer and he doesn't even move. Why? ... probably because I'm not weaving in and out of traffic and fully geared down with my leathers not acting like a retard. People respect the riders that have a brain on their shoulders, not the one's with egos.

Take the MSF course first and get a feeling for how suprisely powerful those smaller bikes can be and learn a few things.

Goodluck and I hope everything works out tonyp!

Old 02-05-2008, 06:10 PM

heeey! well i just bought myself a cbr600...im 22, 5'6 120lbs...im getting mine lowered, its in the shop right now..you might need to do that if you want...i rather have my feet planted on the ground, i feel more safer and i feel as if i can balance it better. everyone said the same thing to me, its too much power. i feel that im finewith it. now mind you i just started riding so i havent really tested the bike out.

get what you feel is best. i would get the 600, i personally wouldnt get the 250. in a few months you would want something better.

im taking the msf course most likely this weekend...take it too, theyll definately help you out with your decision. talk to a pro. good luck

[IMG]local://upfiles/23690/17A6290BD2BC4270BB91FF5B640C144E.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: help me pick out bike